Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently started trying to acquire some inexpensive items to expand my wardrobe. I wear very casual clothing most of the time, but enjoy looking nice and want to have clothing on-hand to perform a quick 'upgrade' for going out with my wife or meeting friends for drinks, etc. My job does not require much in the way of clothing, so this is essentially for leisure time.

I am not looking to spend a lot of money, since this is basically a luxury for me. I own only one suit, a cheap Alfani charcoal pinstripe from Macy's. I also own a cheap blue blazer from JC Penny (bought in college), a casual brown corduroy sports coat from Macy's, and a brown houndstooth-looking thing from Haggar (yes, I know their rep here now, but didn't when I purchased it - and it was dirt cheap at one of their outlets).

I liked the looks of this jacket, and was considering going in to my local JAB after work to try this on. I know feelings here are mixed about JAB, so I was hoping to get some opinions on whether this coat is worth the money, or if there's something comparable I could purchase for the same are within a 20% price diff:
https://www.josbank.com/IWCatProduc...d=1&Section_Id=1200&pcount=&Product_Id=338668

Pic:

·
Registered
499 Posts
The price is decent with the sale. Hopefully you've learned never to buy JAB at full price.

At sale prices like this, the quality is very good comparable to the other offerings at this price level.

PS, love the username!

·
Registered
97 Posts
JAB has some good sales going right now! I suggest you call a store near by and check if they have it available in your size. I wouldn't by a jacket online. It just has to fit right at the shoulders and the waist. The sleeves can be altered pretty easily and for not much money.

IMO I prefer all wool jackets! I have no idea how this wool/bamboo fabric feels when wearing it. They key is not just style, but the jacket also got to keep you warm and has to be comfortable to wear (otherwise you will never wear it...)

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Le Deluge

JAB has been deluging me with e-notices of sales, typically 50% off, but even more. For instance, today only they've extended a "Private Event" sale that's put your sport coat at $129, instead of the "regular price of $395." That's about a 66% savings. Make haste!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies; much to my chagrin, it appears that my local JAB store went out of business over a year ago, and since I wasn't interested in looking like anything other than a mid-20's schmuck at the time, I payed no attention - maybe this clothing thing is an early midlife crisis as I approach 30... hmmm...

Anyway, this means that my options are now back to Macy's, JC Penny and the expensive (but very nice) Michael Kehoe. I've also got a local BB outlet but the salespeople are clueless and for some bizarre reason they carry 75% women's clothing.

On the plus side, I've learned that a few hours south of me is an outlet center that includes Allen-Edmonds, Johnston & Murphy, Polo Ralph Lauren and Hickey-Freeman. Guess I'll have to arrange a day trip with the wife next time I get paid.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
If you are looking for an inexpensive jacket of fairly decent quality, try Steinmart if you have one in your area. You can generally find a serviceable jacket there in the $100-$125 range from brands such as Flusser and Nautica. Not great but worth what you pay for them.

Although it's hard to see much in this picture, this is a Flusser jacket that I got there for $99 a couple of years ago. It's a grey lambswool herringbone.

https://imageshack.us

Cruiser

·
Registered
356 Posts
Although it seems like you've all but ruled out the original post, I rather like the bamboo fabrics that I've employed from Scabal. They have a great feeling, rather cashmere-Esq and are supposed to have a decent resiliency. The fabrics are still rather new, so it is hard to say exactly how they will hold up with time, but for the prices offered you can always get two and return the worse fitting one (if JAB has a good online return policy, I dont' know but I'm sure others will)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Although it seems like you've all but ruled out the original post, I rather like the bamboo fabrics that I've employed from Scabal. They have a great feeling, rather cashmere-Esq and are supposed to have a decent resiliency. The fabrics are still rather new, so it is hard to say exactly how they will hold up with time, but for the prices offered you can always get two and return the worse fitting one (if JAB has a good online return policy, I dont' know but I'm sure others will)
Call me crazy, but given that my wardrobe is still so limited, and I really don't know what kind of cuts, sizes and fabrics I like, I really want to be able to try things on locally and get a feel for it, and buy a few more articles before I start going wild with online ordering.

EDIT: Thank you for the info on the bamboo fabric. I'll make sure I keep my eyes open for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.