Men's Clothing Forums banner

Is This Trad?

4K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  Rilian 
#1 ·

#8 ·
I'd wear that bow with a navy blazer and a light blue or blue-and-white university striped OCBD. The green will fade into the navy of the blazer, the royal blue will fade into the light blue of the OCBD, and the rosy pink will pop right out!

We used to call these "dare ties" in college - traditional patterns with a color or other characteristic that looked unusual next to a J. Press or Brooks tie. Ties like these were readily available from RPL, among others. The wearer, in effect, was saying, "I dare ya to say something about my tie."

In my experience, these are fully within the Trad scheme of things, with headroom to spare.

#10 ·
To answer the initial question = YES.

And secondly, yes, what is the product quality like? I see a couple things on there I like, especially the smaller widths for Butterfly bows - this might answer might prayers on several fronts...

#11 ·
...We used to call these "dare ties" in college - traditional patterns with a color or other characteristic that looked unusual next to a J. Press or Brooks tie. Ties like these were readily available from RPL, among others. The wearer, in effect, was saying, "I dare ya to say something about my tie."

In my experience, these are fully within the Trad scheme of things, with headroom to spare.
Dare ties! Haven't heard that phrase in a while and I thank you very much for reminding me of it. That's it, exactly, and seems Trad to me.

--A.Q.

#18 · (Edited)
To answer the initial question = YES.

And secondly, yes, what is the product quality like? I see a couple things on there I like, especially the smaller widths for Butterfly bows - this might answer might prayers on several fronts...
I like that bow very much, dphl.

Does Bowtie Club offer a good product?
Been enjoying all of the comments so far. Interesting how divided we forum-ites seem to be on this one.

If you held a gun to my head, and made me choose between BTC and, say, Beau Ties of Vermont, I'd have to say I prefer BTC any day. I am now the proud owner of several BTC ties, and they are the first ties I grab whenever I need to make a good impression. I may not be able to afford the best Oxxford or Southwick suits nowadays, but at least I own some of the best bow ties money can buy.

I have special requirements. My neck is too large for most OTR bows, and I happen to love diamond points. No extra charge at Bow Tie Club (in most cases). Kotty, Beau Ties of Vt., Mainebows, and others will do special orders, but there is an extra charge associated with that--sometimes a pretty steep upcharge.

BB, J Press, J Crew, VV, LE, CCC, and other retailers sell bows of reasonable quality much of the time. But special orders aren't even an option. And the selection on hand is often very limited. And none of them are made in the USA (even if they place each tie in a plastic bag on U.S. soil, whcih probably warrants placing a "Made in the USA" tag on it).

#19 · (Edited)
Glad to hear it - now I have the tough choice to make on 2" butterfly or pointed end for a tie w/ my school colors... agony.

& I wonder if they'd do cummerbunds???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.