Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,684 Posts
Maybe a little bit, but tie knots are a personal choice. I don't like some of the huge ones that some sports personalities wear; this is nowhere hear as large as that.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Its all about matching the right collar with the knot

The principal difference between Prince Michael and the reporter is that Prince Michael has carefully chosen a shirt collar on which the points extend down far enough so that if a horizontal line connected the points virtually all of the knot of the tie would be above that line. On the other hand, if a horizontal line connected the points of the reporter's shirt collar much of the knot would be below the line.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't think that looks great. That opinion is based on the shirt collar in particular (would fly better with a more spread collar, IMO). Plus, I think his suit choice, to a lesser extent, makes it not work. If you're going to do a big knot, you need the suit to be a part of that ensemble - think Ari Gold, who dresses like an a-hole, but you have to admit he (or whoever on the set took care of his wardrobe) pulls off the look he's going for.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
If your attention is drawn away from the wearer's face, they're doing something wrong. This is why I do not like the Windsor knot. On modern ties it is much too large.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I personally don't like the large knots, although they are becoming more popular. What I really don't like about them is that unless a normal sized person buys an extra long tie, the large knot ties are way too short. I can't stand seeing a large knot tie that is also six inches above the belt. Oh well, fashion over style!

·
Registered
914 Posts
While the knot is larger than I would prefer, I assume than in another 10 or 15 years, almost nobody on tv will wear neckties anymore. We'll watch 80 year old CNN/FOX ace reporter Geraldo Rivera in his Ed Hardy designer t-shirt and saggin' pants, we'll think back to big knot guy, and ask, "Wow, why don't people on tv dress like that anymore?"
--
Michael
(The other Prince Michael, for exceedingly broad values of "Prince.")

·
Banned
16,023 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I wear a half-windsor daily, and it looks that the TV guy is doing the same. The issue isn't with the size of the knot, its with the sloppiness. If he pulled that knot tighter, he could get a nice dimple and close up that tie space on the collar, and he would look quite put together. He just didn't finish the job....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.