Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this suit jacket too short?

I just received this suit in the mail, and it's shorter than I expected it to be. I generally wear a 38S, which is usually about 28.5" from the bottom of the collar, but this jacket is about 27.5". The vendor doesn't have the same jacket in 38R, so if this jacket is too short, I have to return it for a refund, not a replacement.

Sorry for the bad lighting and the mess on the floor.

(In case you're curious: it's a navy pinstripe seersucker, pure cotton exterior with pure polyester lining. I've already confirmed that my tailor can replace the lining with Bemberg. Here's the product listing.)

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me try . . . I'm attaching a better lit photo of my bottom half from both the front and the side.

I'm attaching two photos from the side, in fact. In one, I stand normally (except I have to get my hand out of the way, LOL), while in the other, I use my hand to pull the pants tight from the front so that the outline of my rear end can be discerned better.

I'd say the jacket goes almost exactly halfway down my rear. It hits just where my rear extends the furthest, before my butt starts curving back in towards my thighs.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bummer. Thanks. I guess I'll try the 40R. I'm afraid it might be too large in the shoulders, but we'll see. . .

It's a shame. The shoulders on this 38S are just about perfect, and the waist is suppressed enough that I'm not even sure I need the tailor to alter anything but the sleeves and pants length. But I guess I'll try the 40R and see if it can be taken in enough . . . sigh . . .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know what? Scratch that. I just canceled the order for the 40R. The 40R will probably be too large in the shoulders, and in the end, it won't fit right.

Sigh. I was just so excited about a mostly-navy seersucker suit because I love the feel of seersucker but I'm always afraid to drink coffee while wearing it because even a single errant drop can ruin a normal seersucker suit.

And it was double-breasted too, which I love - but which is so hard to find anywhere. I just bought a Spier and Mackay navy seersucker suit that's still coming in the mail, but that one is a 3/2 roll, which I don't like as much as double-breasted.

And the shoulders fit!!!!

But darnit, the 38S jacket is too short and the 38R is sold out. Sigh.

Sorry, I'm just venting. I'm going through the stages of grief right now, but I'll just have to accept that the 38S is too small and the 40R will be too large.

When I visited Suit Supply a few months ago, the salesman showed me a solid navy seersucker fabric in their made-to-measure fabric book, but the whole suit would be about $1,000, which is just more than I could afford at the time. But then I saw this suit on sale for $100 and I was so exited. Even with the $100 cost of replacing the polyester lining with Bemberg, it was still a bargain. Sigh sigh sigh. Why is life so hard?

·
Registered
14,998 Posts
It’s better to save and wait until you can get what you want.
The fabric is not going anywhere. Seersucker was, is and will remain relevant and you’ll find no shortage of merchants who will do made to measure.
just be patient and don’t chase after it; let it come to you.
Good luck.

·
Registered
766 Posts
As long as it's covering your butt it's ok. Sure it's a little short by classic standards however.
Any chance we can see a shot of your backside?

(God I can't believe I just said that. I feel like Harvey Weinstein)
I needed this laugh after the day I've had!

To the OP: I know the disappointment of finding your online purchase doesn't fit and can't be made to. I agree as well that your best bet was to cancel and look elsewhere. I admire your style though as I'm fond of double breasted jackets as well.
Think of it this way; by cancelling, you've just extended the moment of anticipation. That's the best part of the hunt.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I bought a suit stretcher on ebay for these occasions. I store it in my closet next to my board stretcher and my left handed framing hammer. Now where did I put that can of plaid paint?

Glad all worked out ....in the end.

Cheers,

BSR

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.