1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
No, that’s not 'bubbling' (as we know it) caused by a fused interfacing; you find that down the front of a suit or in the chest area. Kiton doesn’t use that type of interfacing.

But there is something, that looks like excessive fullness in the shoulder section of this suit. It is possible the lighting exaggerates it, but something seems to be not quite right. It might just need pressing and a bit of shrinking, but if there is too much material, the problem might return. To cure the problem for good, it might be necessary to re-set the sleeve (or at least sections of it).

If this is not your suit and you found the picture on some eBay auction, leave well alone.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
That's what I was thinking. A steaming would probably fix it. If not, I'd be suspicious.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's what I was thinking. A steaming would probably fix it. If not, I'd be suspicious.
No, no, no. It's not a steam issue, it's a craftsmanship issue. Unless you purchased that suit from a reputable Kiton seller stay away from it. It looks like a forgery because it has several problems.

The shoulders are atrocious. Look at the way they stick up near the collar. This pulls the shoulder out of whack. The shoulder pads and inner canvasing are screwed up as well.

I have another reason for doubting this is a Kiton; the sleeves also look wrong, the whole jacket looks like it was rolled in a ball or slept in. The shoulders on the jacket also indicate the back of it is probably an even greater mess. My guess is someone tried to alter a bigger coat or re-cut a fuller coat to ape a more tightly contoured suit jacket. That's why it pulls and sags all over. Steam isn't going to help.

bimmerzimmer

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
No, no, no. It's not a steam issue, it's a craftsmanship issue. Unless you purchased that suit from a reputable Kiton seller stay away from it. It looks like a forgery because it has several problems.

The shoulders are atrocious. Look at the way they stick up near the collar. This pulls the shoulder out of whack. The shoulder pads and inner canvasing are screwed up as well.

I have another reason for doubting this is a Kiton; the sleeves also look wrong, the whole jacket looks like it was rolled in a ball or slept in. The shoulders on the jacket also indicate the back of it is probably an even greater mess. My guess is someone tried to alter a bigger coat or re-cut a fuller coat to ape a more tightly contoured suit jacket. That's why it pulls and sags all over. Steam isn't going to help.

bimmerzimmer
I doubt it was altered, all the basting stitches are stitches are still in.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
i think that its likely they are real. the plaids and stripes match perfectly.
the waist on both are exaggerated thats probably the alteration.

on the plaid the right sleeve plaid is off =alteration.
angle of the armhole front = chest was taken in = alteration.
bunching on the shoulders collar was lowered = alteration.

on the stripe chest was also taken in and the breast pocket is now too close to the armhole. = alteration.

all in all poor alteration work.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Alex, once again you are eminently helpful. :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
ANTOTHER POSSIBILITY

I wouldnt gainsay the experts but it could also simply be that the bust form does not have the right shape for the jacket (ie diferet from the body for which it was designed). Its a perennial issue with photographing suits on bustforms. It shows up most on very fine wool jackets....
Well just thought id throw it out there....

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I have another reason for doubting this is a Kiton
I've never bought any clothes as expensive as Kiton, but when I see it in the shops I'm in awe of the workmanship. It's a work of art sitting on a hanger. On someone who wears it properly, and has it altered appropriately, I'm sure it's incredible.

This jacket doesn't do it for me. If it's really Kiton, it's uninspired and bleah.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I purchased this Armani suit at a deep discount. There is some bubbling (piping?) on the left side. Is that normal or it's a construction issue? Can pressing fix this? I paid $275 for the jacket, with alteration it will put me at $350. Should I keep it for that price? Thank you all in advance all for your help!

The creasing is similar to these:

https://www.saksoff5th.com/main/Pro...Giorgio+Armani&N=1587+302023897&bmUID=mkq8HWz

https://www.saksoff5th.com/main/Pro...Giorgio+Armani&N=1587+302023839&bmUID=mkq8Ibj

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
There are many on here who are far better at diagnosing than I, so take my advice with a grain of salt. That is a great looking jacket at an absolute steal of a price. It appears to fit really nicely through the chest/waist, but the sleeves are too long. You can get the sleeves shortened, but then you risk possibly messing with the buttons on the cuff. I can't tell how much room you have in the shoulders, but if you're perceiving 'bubbling', it may be too roomy there. IMO, you can't really wear it as-is. If you trust your tailor, you should get him/her to give you an honest assessment. Last thing, it's tough to tell, but if the jacket itself is too long, you may have to walk away. I'm interested in seeing how this turns out, 'cause that jacket is really nice.

·
Registered
161 Posts
There are many on here who are far better at diagnosing than I, so take my advice with a grain of salt. That is a great looking jacket at an absolute steal of a price. It appears to fit really nicely through the chest/waist, but the sleeves are too long. You can get the sleeves shortened, but then you risk possibly messing with the buttons on the cuff. I can't tell how much room you have in the shoulders, but if you're perceiving 'bubbling', it may be too roomy there. IMO, you can't really wear it as-is. If you trust your tailor, you should get him/her to give you an honest assessment. Last thing, it's tough to tell, but if the jacket itself is too long, you may have to walk away. I'm interested in seeing how this turns out, 'cause that jacket is really nice.
Thank you so very much. The sleeves are basted so I don't think I'd have any issues there. Can I go with brown horn buttons? I prefer those to black. Also would you go with 3 buttons on the sleeve or 4? The jacket does need to be taken in.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
I took it to my tailor yesterday. Somebody has butchered this suit. All 3 back/side seams need to be re-done. You are correct about the sides. He needs to let those out and fix the center seam. He pressed the left side and the bubbling is gone. He didn’t think that was an issue.Long story short, it costs me about 125 to have it altered. Does that worth it for an orphaned suit? I trust this tailor but that’d put me close to 400.

P.s. sorry in advanced for the black shirt ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
You keep calling it a suit. Is it a suit, or just the suit jacket without the pants? If it’s just the jacket, I wouldn’t consider that a discount at all, much less a deep one. I wouldn’t want to wear an orphaned suit jacket for any price.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.