Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why does it matter if it's a orphaned jacket or stand alone blazer (i'm guessing that's the distinction you're trying to make)? Either way you can wear it stand alone, even if you have the pants. I think it looks nice with the buttons you have on it right now.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why does it matter if it's a orphaned jacket or stand alone blazer (i'm guessing that's the distinction you're trying to make)? Either way you can wear it stand alone, even if you have the pants. I think it looks nice with the buttons you have on it right now.
A lot of times one can tell if it is a suit coat. A tell tell sign is pinstripes and often times stripes of any kind (although BB does sell some striped sport coats).

I just don't feel comfortable wearing a suit coat as an odd jacket... it feels like a look Men's Wearhouse pushes.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
It looks like a suit coat to me. As is, I would not wear it with dress pants; however, I wouldn't hesitate to wear it with jeans for casual social occasions. Change to metal buttons and then I would wear it with nice wool pants and a tie, with khakis, or with jeans.

Cruiser

·
Site Creator
11,759 Posts
brokencycle:

Looks like a suit jacket. You could wear it as a sport jacket, but that's not recommended. Most people can tell that it's an orphaned suit jacket!

However if you want to change the buttons to metal and wear it as a blazer it just might work since the jacket has no pattern.

Remember a sport coat is not a blazer, but a blazer is a type of sport coat! And leave that bottom button unbuttoned!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Other than the buttons, isn't there another difference between a suit coat and a blazer?
Some might argue that patch pockets are indicative of a blazer...
A blazer should be made from a cloth with more texture than a plain worsted (either fuzzy like flannel or doeskin, or rough like hopsack or linen). A blazer should have side vents.

That said, a lot of RTW blazers are made of smooth worsted and have flap pockets and a center vent.

Nonetheless, for these reasons, the OP's jacket would not make a good blazer in my opinion, so I would not swap the buttons for metal. It might work better as an odd jacket with brown or tan horn buttons.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
brokencycle:

Looks like a suit jacket. You could wear it as a sport jacket, but that's not recommended. Most people can tell that it's an orphaned suit jacket!

However if you want to change the buttons to metal and wear it as a blazer it just might work since the jacket has no pattern.

Remember a sport coat is not a blazer, but a blazer is a type of sport coat! And leave that bottom button unbuttoned!!!
I am aware. The seller posted those pictures.

Anyone else think that with the buttons changed out it would still look like a suit coat?

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Changing the buttons to metal or mother of pearl will make it looks less like a suit coat. Most blazers made by low to middle-end manufacturers just take a navy suit coat and put metal buttons on it. I agree with Bird's One View on the proper blazer fabrics. Serge will also work for a blazer as it is a little rough-looking. I have a serge double-breasted blazer as well as a hopsack single-breasted. Patch pockets are nice on blazers, but flap pockets work too. I also agree that blazers should have side vents.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It looks like a suit coat to me. As is, I would not wear it with dress pants; however, I wouldn't hesitate to wear it with jeans for casual social occasions. Change to metal buttons and then I would wear it with nice wool pants and a tie, with khakis, or with jeans.

Cruiser
:icon_smile_big:

Ah Cruiser, you are one of a kind, truly.

That is spectacular advice.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
My Canali navy blazer has MOP buttons, they are a darkish gray and it looks great. It does not have patch pockets either. I personally do not like brass buttons, gold or silver buttons.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I still have my training wheels on for such matters but 4 buttons on the sleeve seems to be common for suit coats, 2-3 for sport coats/blazers. Not 100% but as a general guide its helped me especially if I'm looking at ebay pictures or something and can't really get a feel for the fabric.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
I still have my training wheels on for such matters but 4 buttons on the sleeve seems to be common for suit coats, 2-3 for sport coats/blazers. Not 100% but as a general guide its helped me especially if I'm looking at ebay pictures or something and can't really get a feel for the fabric.
That doesn't really apply much anymore. Almost everything has 4 buttons these days, and I've seen suits that have 3-button cuffs (though not in a while).

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
That doesn't really apply much anymore. Almost everything has 4 buttons these days, and I've seen suits that have 3-button cuffs (though not in a while).
In Britain and HK, time was everything was 3-button except bespoke - and indeed all my HK suits are 3-button (though Mr Ng would, I'm sure, have added a 4th if I'd asked for it). Indeed, to have 4 buttons on a non-bespoke suit was, IIRC, regarded as pretentious.

Then inevitably 4 buttons began to be regarded as a sign of class/quality in various places, and so now here in the US, it's standard.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Where is it written that blazers should have side vents? I have been wearing them for the past 50 years with a single center hooked vent - I hope I have not been doing it wrong.

As to buttons, four seems to be standard on every jacket today. I prefer three and that is what I would choose if I ever switched buttons.

Back when I was young and the earth was still cooling, I don't recall ever seeing four buttons - two or three was the norm. It is said that Brooks Bros used two or three buttons on the sleeve to make it easy for the sales people to find two or three button jackets while they were on the rack. I have no idea of the accuracy of this statement.

Cheers, Jim.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.