Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can imagine what the prevailing views would be on buying a $300 suit, but assuming I feel compelled to do so (to be used as "beaters" and/or to put newer styles/colours in my wardrobe), which one do you think would be a better buy in terms of style/quality/appearance? Or at this price point is it really just a case of six-of-one, half-a-dozen of the other? BTW, I have a very good tailor whom I would take the suits to.

1) The Paolo Lastrucci by Modainstyle (Fused but with functional sleeve buttons):

2) The Marco Valentino by the Wizard of Aahs (canvassed):

I guess what I'm really asking is which one will look less "cheap"? (I've seen obvious/tacky pic stitching on my colleagues suits, for example). Or, put another way, which one will look more modern/fashion forward (if either)?
==========================

And same question for these ~$600 suits:

1) Zegna fabric by Modainstyle (1/2 canvas):

2) Benjamin by ehaberdasher:

https://store.ehaberdasher.com/Detail.bok?no=3285

Would the $600 suits look better/worse (i.e., better price/quality) than a designer on sale, such as a Corneliani?

Sorry for the newbie questions. I know they've been answered in round-about ways on the forum, but I'm just trying to get a handle on what you would end up getting at different price points. (And living in the Great White North, we don't get 50% sales on 40R navy blue designer suits (at least that I know about) so I'm thinking of entering the online world).

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
When going for any suit, be it $25 from eBay or $75k from Armani, the fit is important. Going online makes it difficult.

For the $600 suit I would suggest eHaberdasher. Zegna make good suits, but the main advantage of eHaberdasher is that you can get the jacket and trousers as separates; hence, getting the jacket and trousers that fits you the best. The other advantage is the return policy, it would be more difficult doing this with an eBay seller (in general).

Concerning the $300 suit, if I had a choice between canvassed/half-canvassed or working buttons, I would choice the former. Although I would not believe the RRP's given on eBay. If you are looking for a $300 suit, eHaberdasher may have something in your price range; there is a Zegna suit for $400 at the moment (but in a 46R).

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I agree with ToryBoy.

One thing is don't ignore the Buy and Sell sections of the various clothing forums. I have seen new with tags Polo (made by Corneliani), Canali, Corneliani, RLPL and other very well made, new suits for under $500.

In fact, Doc Holiday, who posts here, has some Golden Fleece (Brooks Brothers) made by Martin Greenfield for under $500. These are very well made suits, fully canvassed, handmade buttonholes. At that price, you're paying for the fabric and the construction is thrown in for free..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. You've convinced me to hang tough for the right priced designer suit. I guess the key to buying online is, as you guys point out, knowing your measurements/fit and then waiting for the right suit/price (on that note, I just missed the eHaberdasher 20% sale!).

I've never quite been able to figure out my ideal fit to be frank. Every suit I have ever owned is a 40R, but some seem to look better on me than others. I get the most compliments on my Prada/Gucci for fit, but they feel a little tight (nothing seems to pull though). My Zegnas feel a little big/droopy in the shoulders, but I fell less constricted. I'm ~ 177 lbs, my chest is about 40", my overarm about 49" and my waist about 35".

I'm beginning to think from my self-diagnosis today that I have sloping shoulders. Does that mean I need a more structured suit? If so, any thoughts on the designer that would fit my body type? I really like what I think is the "structured" look of the Prada (although I may be getting a little too old for that look?).

I've been trying to read as much as I can on the forum, but the amount of information can be a little overwhelming for newcomers.

Again, thanks for your help (and promptness!).

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Thanks guys. You've convinced me to hang tough for the right priced designer suit. I guess the key to buying online is, as you guys point out, knowing your measurements/fit and then waiting for the right suit/price (on that note, I just missed the eHaberdasher 20% sale!).

I've never quite been able to figure out my ideal fit to be frank. Every suit I have ever owned is a 40R, but some seem to look better on me than others. I get the most compliments on my Prada/Gucci for fit, but they feel a little tight (nothing seems to pull though). My Zegnas feel a little big/droopy in the shoulders, but I fell less constricted. I'm ~ 177 lbs, my chest is about 40", my overarm about 49" and my waist about 35".

I'm beginning to think from my self-diagnosis today that I have sloping shoulders. Does that mean I need a more structured suit? If so, any thoughts on the designer that would fit my body type? I really like what I think is the "structured" look of the Prada (although I may be getting a little too old for that look?).

I've been trying to read as much as I can on the forum, but the amount of information can be a little overwhelming for newcomers.

Again, thanks for your help (and promptness!).
Zegna OTR tends to be a very roomy fit, I usually have to size down for Zegna to work for me in the shoulders and body. Isaia is also nice, but if you are self conscious about "sloping shoulders", its probably not the right cut for you. Have you ever tried Corneliani or Canali? Both tend to have relatively strong shoulders.

As to Gucci and Prada, I would probably stick to Gucci if you must have one of the two. I think most of Gucci's recent stuff is made by Zegna, so the construction is decent and you still get the Gucci "fit".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zegna OTR tends to be a very roomy fit, I usually have to size down for Zegna to work for me in the shoulders and body. Isaia is also nice, but if you are self conscious about "sloping shoulders", its probably not the right cut for you. Have you ever tried Corneliani or Canali? Both tend to have relatively strong shoulders.

As to Gucci and Prada, I would probably stick to Gucci if you must have one of the two. I think most of Gucci's recent stuff is made by Zegna, so the construction is decent and you still get the Gucci "fit".
I'm not married to any particular brand. I've always just picked up a bunch of suits on sale at the same time, then go for years until my wardrobe falls apart. Not the smartest thing to do. Now I'm starting from scratch again (and, with the economy/market, a poorer farmer), but trying to understand enough that I can build up a sustainable wardrobe.

I've tried on a Canali fairly recently. Definitely nice suits. They seem to fit like my Zegnas from what I can recall. Haven't tried on a Corneliani, but have been reading a lot about them in the forum. They sound like they would fit me better from what I can gather. I'll try and hunt some sales down on those. Should I try the Spencer line (which is a slimmer fit from what I can gather)?

I'm so glad I found this forum. I really appreciate all the help. Hopefully I can give back, in time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
M. Valentino and Baroni suits from the Wizard are NOT fully canvassed.

They are only half canvassed, even if the Ebay posting specifically says it is fully canvassed. I purchased a Baroni Navy blazer before which specifically stated that it was fully canvassed, only to find out that it was in fact only half canvassed. M.Valentinos are all half-canvassed, as are most suits in the that price range.

I would not spend 300 USD on the above suits. Just go to Overstock and buy a similar brand (Austin Reed, Kenneth Cole, Joseph Abboud, etc) for under $200.

With that said, If you know what size you are I would shell out for a Benjamin suit from ehaberdasher or similar. Buy cheap, buy twice.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I'm not married to any particular brand. I've always just picked up a bunch of suits on sale at the same time, then go for years until my wardrobe falls apart. Not the smartest thing to do. Now I'm starting from scratch again (and, with the economy/market, a poorer farmer), but trying to understand enough that I can build up a sustainable wardrobe.

I've tried on a Canali fairly recently. Definitely nice suits. They seem to fit like my Zegnas from what I can recall. Haven't tried on a Corneliani, but have been reading a lot about them in the forum. They sound like they would fit me better from what I can gather. I'll try and hunt some sales down on those. Should I try the Spencer line (which is a slimmer fit from what I can gather)?

I'm so glad I found this forum. I really appreciate all the help. Hopefully I can give back, in time.
If you are looking for a slim fit, you may want to keep your eye out for Ralph Lauren Black Label on the B&S forum here and at Style Forum. These are well made (Caruso) and very trim fitting. In fact, I need to go up a full size in RLBL. If you can find an RLBL suit for under $500, this will be an excellent value.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Who is this Marco Valentino anyway? I mean, Valentino Garavani is the famous italian designer, and his trade symbol is suspiciously similar to this "Marco Valentino". Is Marco Valentino a cheap knockoff trying to capitalize on the Valentino name?

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's a good question as to who is M. Valentino. The suits have pretty decent fabric. I bought two to see what they look like. Both fit very nice, however in one the fabric shifted a bit so my tailor had some extra work. But they seem decent enough.

That being said - there are much better suits out there. But for the price, they are better than others for the price (normally - bargains can be had).

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I suspect the Wizard of Ahs suits are the same as the knock offs for less on AHFashion and other such $100 suit websites. The cheap suits aren't bad, but don't pay a lot of money for a cheap suit.

·
Registered
273 Posts
True that the 3 day 20% off is over, but the 16% off promotion for Benjamin suits is still good through the end of January. This would bring all but the navy 150's suits to $499.99 before shipping. The code, once again, is BENDEBUT. If you wear a 50R in Gucci and the like, you should have absolutely no problem fitting a Benjamin in 40R/50R. I'm about 168, 5'10" and wear a 40R although I don't completely fill it out. I have a local customer who purchased one and he's 5'10" 178 - and seemingly your same proportions, and the suit fit him perfectly - only the sleeves had to be shortened slightly and the pant bottoms.

Someone mentioned the RLBL suit - we have a model that will be slimmer - although not quite as slim as RLBL - this model will be available (but only in 2 fabrics) in about 10 days.

Feel free to post or PM any additional questions - we're actually closed until 1/18 so it's actually best to email me directly - [email protected].

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
True that the 3 day 20% off is over, but the 16% off promotion for Benjamin suits is still good through the end of January. This would bring all but the navy 150's suits to $499.99 before shipping. The code, once again, is BENDEBUT. If you wear a 50R in Gucci and the like, you should have absolutely no problem fitting a Benjamin in 40R/50R. I'm about 168, 5'10" and wear a 40R although I don't completely fill it out. I have a local customer who purchased one and he's 5'10" 178 - and seemingly your same proportions, and the suit fit him perfectly - only the sleeves had to be shortened slightly and the pant bottoms.

Someone mentioned the RLBL suit - we have a model that will be slimmer - although not quite as slim as RLBL - this model will be available (but only in 2 fabrics) in about 10 days.

Feel free to post or PM any additional questions - we're actually closed until 1/18 so it's actually best to email me directly - [email protected].
Thanks Ben. I've been eyeing the Benjamin (forgot about the 16% off). It looks like a nice suit, but, frankly, I like 3-buttons. Plus, I'm wondering whether the jacket may be a bit short for me. It measures exactly like my Prada in the chest (43") and shoulders (18.25"), but the length from the bottom of the collar (29.5") seems to be an inch shorter. All my other suits are between 30.5" (Prada) and 31".

I'm actually thinking of grabbing your Corneliani instead, although the thought of paying 20% more immediately post-sale is making me look around first ;-).

I'll be in Vegas next week and thinking of heading to the Fashion Show Mall and the Fashion Outlets in Primm. I'm not too familiar with the various department stores, besides "The Rack" type stores at those two malls. Any place I might try to get a blow-out-bonanza on a Corneliani or RLBL? Or just some good ties/shirts/shoes?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to the guys on this thread who dissuaded me from going "no-name", and with the help of a discount code from Vancouverman (no relation), I ordered my first Samuelsohn from STP:

The constant hunt-peck for deals will not be good for my OCD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.