Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,603 Posts
Ok I'm a total newbie so don't yell at me yet!

I only started to notice the difference between flimsy thin ties and nice thick quality ones. I always thought there were two different types, the polyester type, and the silk type. lol.

So I am guessing a 7-folded tie is pretty good? Any other guide lines?
I've seen some cheap 7-fold ties before.

First, try holding the tie from one end to see if it hangs straight (without twisting). If it does, that means it is cut along the bias (a good thing).

Also, look at the back and unfold the fabric a bit, if you see a slip-stitch (a small thread with a loop hanging down) that is another indication of a quality tie.

If I like the pattern, and the tie isn't a piece of junk, I'll buy it. I get plenty of positive comments on no-name brand ties - probably more than I do on my Talbott ties.

· Registered
2,603 Posts
so if my most expensive tie is $29.99 that's a bad thing right? :(
Personally, I wouldn't worry about price.

I don't think I've ever spent much money on ties. I typically frequent places like TJ Maxx and Marshall's and pick up ties that I like and that I know are of good quality.

I mean, I have some Tommy ties, which aren't great ties or anything, but I like the pattern, so I wear them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.