Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sea Island is unfortunately a vague term. It used to refer to cotton grown on Sea Island, Georgia, but that is no longer the meaning. Anymore, it simply means long-staple (that is, the length of the yarn that make up the thread in the shirt weave) ranging from 110-140. With the better shirtings, Sea Island seems to be somewhat consistent at 140.

Is it worth it? Only you can answer that as the value is subjective. Most shirtings in extra long staples are lighter and silkier, however they wrinkle and crease easier. Sea Island is definitely not the top, I've seen as high as 220s.

Personally, I'm happy in the 100-140 range, but I insist on 2x2-ply.

·
Vendor
1,738 Posts
How does one measure if something is worth the price one pays for it? We all have a personal set of values that makes the quality level of some products more important than the quality level of other products. One individual may purchase expensive wine and not care what kind of car he owns. His neighbor opts for a BMW and drinks Boon's Farm Apple Wine. My personal definition of a "good deal' is if you are pleased with what you got for the money you spent you got a "good deal".
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors www.chipp2.com

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Those 140s not deemed sea island, but sea island quality....

are presented as sea island quality because of the copy right laws. Unless it comes form Sea Island it can't be designated as Sea Island. I have shirts which are Sea Island quality, and I can't tell the difference between these 140s and the ones so deignated. I like Sea Island or sea island quality shirts, but some shirt makers make very silky 120s. Duchamp of London, of which I have several, makes a 120 that is as soft and smooth as 140s, but you don't save any money unless you get Duchamp on one of their semi annual sales. As the previous poster said, it's all what you like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.