Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Depends on your workplace. I don't think fit has anything to do with it. In my workplace (semiconductor R&D) where most people are dressed in T-shirts and jeans, dressing in chinos would actually put you in the 99th percentile of the dressiness index. :)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I know some stores describe their traditional fit pants as "relaxed fitting" for the younger crowd obsessed with everything "slim fit." As long as the pants aren't baggy, which is what you may or may not mean, I think you will be just fine.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Yes, they is.

Actually, as others have stated, it depends on your workplace. If you are in IT, then embrace the slouchy chino as your uniform. However, on those days I wear a chino to work, whether it is for a teambuilding event or the dreaded casual Friday, I always make sure:

1) the trousers fit me and aren't hovering at the top of my buttocks
2) they have a relatively low rise, and are clean looking (in terms of lines)
3) they aren't generic Dockers or Gap khakis, but something a little more tailored, like RLPL or Etro

·
Registered
10 Posts
These are exactly what I was thinking of.

The only problem is that they are fake "repaired" with some rather unfortunate patches on them. I'll stop by the RL store to see if they have the same pants without the fake patches.

https://www.ralphlauren.com/product...760810&ab=ln_men_cs1_chinos&parentPage=family

Clearly not a "nerdy, cubicle worker" type chino. I think they make a great casual alternative to jeans. A bit more stylish, especially since EVERYONE in LA is wearing jeans 99% of the time.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
"Relaxed fit," which, these days, just means classic fit, does not in any way detract from formality. To the contrary, in a professional setting, it is an overly-close fit that renders trousers inappropriate. At the nightclub or on a date, your sexuality is relevant. In the workplace, your sexuality is irrelevant at best, affirmatively unwelcome most of the time.

Please do not be mislead by the fashion industry's marketing. Wear trousers that do not cling to your legs or bunch at the crotch. Nobody wants to see your junk.

Having looked at the post, those trousers are still too low-rise, and all the faux patina/character is totally inappropriate for the office.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.