Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today in my corner of North Carolina it was mid 60s, cloudy, windy and threatening rain. Tomorrow promises to be more of the same. Can I dig out the tweed yet? Damn Southern climate makes you wait forever (or at least, October)...

And yes, I know just a week ago I was excited to squeeze in one last day of seersucker....

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I live in the same area and have been thinking the same thing. I still hold off on cords and tweed until the leaves start turning. Probably a few more weeks. That's just my rule though, there may be a better one.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
November 7th is the day in Piedmont NC you drive to the convenience store to fill up after supper, wearing Bermudas and Lynard Skynard T, and realize whilst pumping there's an autumnal hint in the air. About a month later you can unpack the tweeds, but can't wear them on the typically rainy, 70 degree Christmas Day. One has experience. How gozit in Moscow on Morgan Creek?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Today

Today I am wearing a tweed sport coat with jeans for casual Friday. Normally, I would say it is far to early to be wearing tweed, but this morning when I released the hounds, it was in the upper 50s, damp and breezy. I try to let the weather define what I am wearing, not the calendar.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Here in NOLA there's not a tweed season, its more like an extreme cold front blew in for 2-4 days and the highs are in the low 50s. Its such a shame.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Here in NOLA there's not a tweed season, its more like an extreme cold front blew in for 2-4 days and the highs are in the low 50s. Its such a shame.
But it has been unusually pleasant this week. Yesterday morning, walking to my office in the CBD, the wind actually made things chilly. And the Northshore (where I live) morning teperatures have been in the 50s. That is more like November than September.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
But it has been unusually pleasant this week. Yesterday morning, walking to my office in the CBD, the wind actually made things chilly. And the Northshore (where I live) morning teperatures have been in the 50s. That is more like November than September.
The weather's been great, the hint of crispness in the morning air is exciting.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I've happily been wearing tweed and cord jackets for a week. But it doesn't compensate for the fact that soon I'll be freezing while y'all are eating BBQ outdoors.
I used to live in Brooklyn and I remember many an autumn where it got hot again in October. Actually I remember once it was 80 degrees in mid-December. That was crazy.

Danny

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I was wearing my Barbour earlier today, but took it off later because it was just too warm. I feel like if it is too warm for the Barbour, it is too warm for tweed. Lately it's been pretty close, though.
The joys and challenges of living in the South. Especially those shoulder days when you need to run the heat at night and the AC during the day.

·
Registered
754 Posts
The rule my mother always taught me (and she was strict in these things) was "never rush the season."

This has a practical implication, too: I find that if I rush into the tweed jackets then once Jan-Feb hit I'm sick of them all already.

tjs

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Interesting. I really could use that kind of advice. Because I tend to go the opposite way.

There's something inherently optimistic in "pushing" the next season just a little.

Even yesterday in 60-something NYC, I counted three khaki poplin suits about town. It strikes me as a sad, belated look.

The rule my mother always taught me (and she was strict in these things) was "never rush the season." ....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.