Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me ignorance, but I had not actually perused the J Press online site before. I did so recently, and to my surprise, discovered a more limited collection of traditional items, without much influence by the latest silly fads/fashions.

When you click on "blazers", the very first item shown is a center vented 3/2 navy sack blazer... and the collars on those OCBD's look pretty long...

·
Registered
528 Posts
J Press still carries a good deal of traditional ivy league clothing. I stick to the Heritage line. Their "blue" line is similar to BB Red Fleece; shorter jacket lengths, trimmer cuts etc.
The recent knock on J Press has been boxy shoulders on the jackets, but I just purchased a Harris Tweed during the current 40% off sale and the shoulders are very natural. I read elsewhere that they've changed manufacturers recently, so hopefully the line backer shoulders are a thing of the past.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
August West is correct. Additionally, J. Press is, in my opinion, the only shop that offers a broad line of Ivy League apparel. O'Connell's might dispute my assertion (and they would have reason to do so, as would the Andover Shop) but Press has been all-Ivy since its inception in 1902.

For example, their OCBD is very nicely constructed and offers the distinctive flap pocket. I reluctantly admit to having 20 of them.

The larger issue has been the use of the Canadian firm, Cohen, to produce their lower-end sport coats. That decision almost killed J. Press, in my opinion. They have very recently engaged a US firm to make their sport coats. While this may be promising, there are some design/manufacturing kinks that need to be worked out with the new supplier. I've got my fingers crossed for J. Press! I except from question the expensive Pressidential line of J. Press sport coats and Blazers which have been made by the Brooks Brothers subsidiary, Southwick. These J. Press garments are superb! Here again, I'm a J. Press addict, having purchased about one sport coat a year – from the company.

All these purchases seem like wretched excess (and that may be right). My only defense is that I've been buying from J. Press for closing in on 35 years.

I won't go on with the other J. Press items in my closet(s) yes, plural, but J. Press has many distinctive Ivy items that just can't be found anywhere else.

I hope they rebound and regain their distinctive reputation and lustre as the pre-eminent Ivy League clothier!

·
Registered
130 Posts
The larger issue has been the use of the Canadian firm, Cohen, to produce their lower-end sport coats. That decision almost killed J. Press, in my opinion. They have very recently engaged a US firm to make their sport coats. While this may be promising, there are some design/manufacturing kinks that need to be worked out with the new supplier. I've got my fingers crossed for J. Press! I except from question the expensive Pressidential line of J. Press sport coats and Blazers which have been made by the Brooks Brothers subsidiary, Southwick. These J. Press garments are superb!
Did J. Press' less expensive suits have the same boxy shoulders their blazers had? If so, did the supplier change fix those too?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Did J. Press' less expensive suits have the same boxy shoulders their blazers had? If so, did the supplier change fix those too?
I don't know the answer to your question, TDWat, as it's been a long time since I purchased a J. Press suit (it's been a long time since I needed to buy a suit). I did buy my youngest a J. Press suit made in China several years ago, when he was going to school in New Haven. It has great shoulders.

Separately, I should have pointed out in my earlier post that a small minority of J. Press sport coats have been made by a Canadian company, Empire, whose products have such "slopey" shoulders that an Olympic downhill ski racer would find them challenging. Learning the J. Press inventory system key shown on the sleeve tags at J. Press will reveal the manufacturer.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I tried a j press Oxford and it was of inferior quality to Brooks brothers and LL Bean in my personal taste and opinion

·
Registered
744 Posts
I got a white ocbd that was ruined in my washer and dryer. The Bean and Brooks continue to look new but perhaps it's because they are non iron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.