Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have put our shearling coats in cold storage every summer for years. Out of curiosity, I Googled this and found many reputable sites (e.g. Chicago Tribune) stating unequivocally that cold storage is neither necessary nor beneficial for shearling. There are also many sites stating that it's essential, but the vast majority of these are furriers who offer cold storage. If we're going to put them away for the summer, it's time.

What do others do and why?

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I'm no expert, but I suspect advice from those who are will vary.

But I have had experience in storing it. I lived for 6 years in a house with an uninsulated attic. This meant it was hot as heck in the summer, and equally frigid in the winter. We had pipe racks there for out-of-season clothing storage. I had some shearling I no longer wore stored there. At the end of those six years, I could note no observable deterioration in any of the hides.

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
I know it's a differently finished leather I'm talking about, but having stored shoes/boots in a hot attic/garage for extended periods of time I can tell you I've had a couple of jackets and several pair of footwear that went in the dumpster because the life was baked right out of them! :( I have no idea how shearling will fare.

· Registered
653 Posts
LOL. Valid point. There is a big difference between Florida and Ontario on heat. People may complain about the cold from Canada but I'll take it any day over the hot humid air of a summer day in the Gulf :p. At least you can dress for the cold. ☃ but you can legally only take off so much clothing in the heat.

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, everybody! After researching it and considering all the opinions, we've decided to leave our shearlings in breathable cloth garment bags in our storage closet this summer. It's in our apartment, with stable temp and adequate humidity, as I also have several guitars and a grand piano for which to care.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Thanks, everybody! After researching it and considering all the opinions, we've decided to leave our shearlings in breathable cloth garment bags in our storage closet this summer. It's in our apartment, with stable temp and adequate humidity, as I also have several guitars and a grand piano for which to care.
You may also wish to assure to the extent possible that such bags are moth proof. Though I've never had any larvae snack upon my hides, it is wool. Though I question how much mayhem of which they'd be capable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts