Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Good lord man. At 48XL I would think 3 button jackets to be standard. Linebackers doing post-game interviews often wear 4 button jacks. They are probably 48XL too. Don't forget the matching hat and bling or you will look silly. :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
100 Posts
A three-button blazer isn't any more "fashion forward" than a two-button suit jacket, and it would probably be better for your size, too.

Although, IMHO, one should have a slight preference towards two buttons on sportcoats, and 3 buttons on suits.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
I don't get where people get confused between 2- and 3-button jackets. It's really just preference. However, I would say a hacking jacket is more traditionally 3-buttons, a single-breasted dinner jacket is always 1-button, and anything in the Trad American style is 3-buttons rolled to the middle (blazers and suits).
For the blazer, it's origins are double-breasted (naval uniform). The most naval in style would be the 6 on 3. Most common is the 6 on 2, and I would consider the 4 on 2 to also be acceptable. The 6 on 1 and 4 on 1 are 1980's fashion forward. For a longer lapel roll it is acceptable to button the bottom on the 6 on 2 and 4 on 2. With its double breasted origins, any single breasted blazer could be considered fashion forward, but both the 2-button and 3-button styles have been acceptable for quite some time (over 50 years).

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Two or three buttons, type of vent(s), cuffs on trousers, pleats or plain front, number of buttons on a jacket sleeve, gauntlet buttons, and probably a few other things I can't think of at the moment, are all equally acceptable and a matter of personal preference.

Black tie, which I don't have occasion to wear, does have rules that I think should be followed. So does white tie, although it must be as close to extinction as a mode of dress can be. I doubt most of us will even hear about a white tie event unless a Queen comes to visit and I am not sure about that.

Cheers, Jim.

·
Registered
507 Posts
to the OP: no, three button isn't fashion forward but mainstream.

While two-button is more conservative and traditional, three-button is now just as acceptable. However, aren't the BB and JP photos posted examples of the midpoint between two-button and three-button, that is a 2-3 roll? (I believe that is how it was described to me: three button but the lapel is not flat at the top button, but rolled as it appears in the photo.) I have a sportcoat that is a 2-3 roll and from what I understand it's the fashionable compromise between a very high gorge with flat lapel (or even lapels starting above) at the top (third) button and the more conservative lower gorge with the two buttons. Am I on the mark here?

·
Registered
10 Posts
https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/showpost.php?p=809495&postcount=5

I'm under the impression that the first one (BB) is a 3 roll 2, and the second one a 2 and a half. The first one has the top button rolled back, while the second one doesn't.

And 3 button is the traditional jacket option. I think that traditionally blazers were 6 button double-breasted. So the question is if a 3 button blazer is too fashion forward. And as I know, it's exactly the valid option instead of a 6 DB. No fashion-forwardness here. 4 button SB though... but please don't.

Can someone clarify this please?

·
Registered
150 Posts
...I have a sportcoat that is a 2-3 roll and from what I understand it's the fashionable compromise between a very high gorge with flat lapel (or even lapels starting above) at the top (third) button and the more conservative lower gorge with the two buttons...
If I catch your intent, then "gorge" doesn't mean what you think it means. The gorge is the notch on the side of each lapel - a legacy of when the lapel could be unrolled and buttoned tight around the neck.

I find three button suits where the top button is meant to be buttoned to look very nineties (to quote this summer's movie).

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I catch your intent, then "gorge" doesn't mean what you think it means. The gorge is the notch on the side of each lapel - a legacy of when the lapel could be unrolled and buttoned tight around the neck.

I find three button suits where the top button is meant to be buttoned to look very nineties (to quote this summer's movie).
The gorge is the point where the collar meets the lapel.
Will, of course, explains it better:

https://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2008/05/reader-questions_31.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.