Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a suit I am interested in online. The issue is that when the pants are fully let out, they are 31.5" in length rather than 32" which is what I typically wear.

So the question is, is 1/2" too noticeable of a difference or is it within reasonable tolerance? Interested in people's opinions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Take a pair of slacks you own now and hem them 1/2 inch up and see for yourself. I don't think 1/2 will be too much, unless of course 32" is high already.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I recently tried two pair of trousers, same pants but different colors. My wife thought the first looked fine but the second looked a little short though still acceptable, even though they were both 32s. Sure enough, I checked and the 2nd pair was a tad shorter. No more than a half inch, but she noticed. Which is to say, 1/2 inch is enough to matter. Whether they're still acceptable depends perhaps on whether an exact 32 is on the long or short side of perfect for you. (Like I now see ptu67 just said.)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I wear 32" inseams.

32.5" tends to be too low and baggy, 31.5" isn't TOO bad, but the pants seem to rise up way too high when I am sitting....

Pass.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I found a suit I am interested in online. The issue is that when the pants are fully let out, they are 31.5" in length rather than 32" which is what I typically wear.

So the question is, is 1/2" too noticeable of a difference or is it within reasonable tolerance? Interested in people's opinions.
I would say that whether the 1/2" matters depends on how high you like to wear your pants and if you could be comfortable wearing them lower than you usually do. Also, if you wear boots rather than shoes, the length issue is less likely to be noticeable since there wouldn't be the "flash of sock" problem. (Of course, some people would say not to wear boots with a suit, but that's a different issue.)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The inseam length cannot be relied upon completely to tell how the pants will hang. The rise affects where they will come to on your shoes. The outseam is a better gauge in my opinion, but even here half an inch difference may be tolerated in some situations.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Depends how long 32" is for you. If your 32" trousers touch your shoe heel, you would be fine with 31.5" trousers; however, if 32" means the trouser is about an inch above the heel, 31.5" would look like you are wearing a Thom Brown suit.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you wear them a certain length, and these are shorter than that, then I think you are begging for trouble. If my suit pants were a 1/2 inch shorter than I normally wear them, I would not like it, and would end up not wearing them. That is a waste. Pass on the deal. You will find something else.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
windsor is right the inseam is a bad measure to use.
you wear your trousers at the same position all the time. so that the length down that side seam must always be the same no matter what the inseam is.
trousers are marked as to inseams because the public does not understand how fitting works.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
You can't tell until you try them on!

Well, isn't that just the problem with buying things on line. Although you didn't say, it sounds like this is a one-off that you found on Craig's List, or wherever. Unless there is a rock-solid return policy: Pass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.