Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a "Non-Iron Cotton Cashmere Herringbone Luxury Sport Shirt" from Brooks Brothers. After following the washing instructions, it still had some wrinkles on it. I wouldn't hesitate to iron a non-iron cotton shirt, but this is a cashmere blend (15% cashmere). Is it OK to iron it?

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I recently acquired a "Non-Iron Cotton Cashmere Herringbone Luxury Sport Shirt" from Brooks Brothers. After following the washing instructions, it still had some wrinkles on it. I wouldn't hesitate to iron a non-iron cotton shirt, but this is a cashmere blend (15% cashmere). Is it OK to iron it?
Perhaps the lowest steam setting on a steam iron?

Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!!! :eek:

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Put it on a hanger and let it get steamed when taking a shower. Otherwise, go out and purchase a steamer, a must have anyway, and use that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I contacted Brooks Brothers, and thought I would post the response in case anyone else is interested. They said:

"In response to your inquiry regarding our merchandise, please be advised you may lightly iron the shirt at a low setting to remove any visible wrinkles."

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Steam heat

I'd probably try my trusty hand steamer with the garment on a hangar before laying a hot iron on anything that delicate. Remember, for an iron to produce steam, the base plate on it has to be scorching hot. Not something I'd want curling up the cashmere fibers' proteins, thank you very much:icon_smile:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hello. This will be my first post. I feel sorta intimidated being in such an august group, but I do have a fair amount of experience with washing and ironing things at home, so perhaps I can add something worthwhile to this discussion.

I avoid dry cleaning as much as is possible (I think it is very harsh on the clothes) and I much prefer my own methods.

First off, measure and record the measurements of the item, so you will know what dimensions to put it back to when drying. I wash delicate things in baby shampoo in cool water in a very large plastic bowl in the bathroom. Add the shampoo to the water first, then put in the article. Let the garment soak about 10 minutes or so. No rubbing, no lifting or twisting, only gently pushing down on the item to distribute the water.

After soaking, rinse thoroughly, again nothing but pushing down on the item. I rinse it a couple of times. Then lift the item out of bowl in a ball all together. Roll up in a towel, jelly-roll fashion and push down to remove water. Repeat. By then it is already 3/4 dry. Then dry flat, put back to the same measurements the garment originally had. This is important or your sweater will not fit properly.

Afterwards you may iron on med-low setting from the reverse side. Do not stay long in one place; move rather quickly and determine if you need a second or third swipe. You will quickly develop a feel for what that particular garment needs.

Do not move the item around while it is hot; allow it to cool in place or you may stretch it. I generally place a rather fluffy bath towel over the ironing board as it seems to keep your sweater from having a flat, dead, ironed-down look. (I should have put that in the beginning.)

Using this method my sweaters stay looking nice and fresh for years. Sorry this is so long, and I know I over-answered the question. (I'm a 'detail' kinda guy ... what can I say.)

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Hello. This will be my first post. I feel sorta intimidated being in such an august group, but I do have a fair amount of experience with washing and ironing things at home, so perhaps I can add something worthwhile to this discussion.

I avoid dry cleaning as much as is possible (I think it is very harsh on the clothes) and I much prefer my own methods.

First off, measure and record the measurements of the item, so you will know what dimensions to put it back to when drying. I wash delicate things in baby shampoo in cool water in a very large plastic bowl in the bathroom. Add the shampoo to the water first, then put in the article. Let the garment soak about 10 minutes or so. No rubbing, no lifting or twisting, only gently pushing down on the item to distribute the water.

After soaking, rinse thoroughly, again nothing but pushing down on the item. I rinse it a couple of times. Then lift the item out of bowl in a ball all together. Roll up in a towel, jelly-roll fashion and push down to remove water. Repeat. By then it is already 3/4 dry. Then dry flat, put back to the same measurements the garment originally had. This is important or your sweater will not fit properly.

Afterwards you may iron on med-low setting from the reverse side. Do not stay long in one place; move rather quickly and determine if you need a second or third swipe. You will quickly develop a feel for what that particular garment needs.

Do not move the item around while it is hot; allow it to cool in place or you may stretch it. I generally place a rather fluffy bath towel over the ironing board as it seems to keep your sweater from having a flat, dead, ironed-down look. (I should have put that in the beginning.)

Using this method my sweaters stay looking nice and fresh for years. Sorry this is so long, and I know I over-answered the question. (I'm a 'detail' kinda guy ... what can I say.)
Brilliant post. IMO it should be stickied.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.