Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an interview lined up on Friday. I have a very nice black custom suit and a very nice white Brioni broadcloth shirt with a spread collar.

I wore just the suit and shirt (no tie) when I visited a local recruiter last week (not a hiring manager for the client).

The suit and shirt alone are top quality and look very elegant and the recruiter made a comment about how well I was dressed and made a comment that I was dressed appropriately for an interview.

I am thinking about going to an interview with a hiring manager in just the suit and shirt (no tie). I live in Southern Cali and I am over 30. I think that George Clooney wore a similar look in either Oceans 11 or Oceans 12 where he and Pitt are standing in an elevator with plans and the elevator doors are closing.

So it seems like a pinnicle of sartorialism to wear a suit and shirt that are so nice that no necktie is needed and in fact would probably detract from the total look.

What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless the position is to rob a bank, wear a tie.

-spence
I see you're in Rhode Island. East Coast is more formal than West Coast. If I was interviewing on East Coast I would certainly wear a tie.

Or, if I was interviewing for an Investment bank I would wear a tie.

I am interviewing for a consultant position in an IT department for an entertainment company subsidiary.

Here is another twist - The recruiter explicitly told me to dress business casual - "slacks and a polo." I think that a custom suit (neopolitan shoulder) with white Brioni shirt could be considered "high-end business casual." I've worn this outfit twice and I think it looks high-end and adult but not pretentious.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I'd trust a head hunter that has something to loose ;)

That being said, I can't imagine it's a bad thing to aim a bit above the target. I work as an IT consultant and in most companies the tie still means something. Let the marketing people go with the Tom Ford look (I say as I'm thinking of doing the short beard).

But trust your instincts, my opinion is only one.

-spence

·
Registered
95 Posts
Start with the tie, get to the interview 20 minutes early and observe as many other employees as possible.
You can always take a tie off......

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Why?

...an entertainment company subsidiary...
Ah, one of the glamour industries…
...The recruiter explicitly told me to dress business casual - "slacks and a polo."...
But the guy has already explicitly told you what to wear. So why are you gong to spit in his eye by intentionally deviating from his instructions? Do you think doing so will increase you chances of getting the job? If not, why?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Start with the tie, get to the interview 20 minutes early and observe as many other employees as possible.
You can always take a tie off......
That may be a good strategy.

I don't really have any nice polos. I've been wearing custom shirts in the workplace for the last couple of years and then t-shirts on the weekends.

I could always just wear the suit pants and a custom shirt but I would like to show that I put some thought in how I am presenting myself in the interview.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ties, Schmies

In the spring I was interviewing for a sales position with an IT consulting job. I didn't wear a tie to a single interview, opting for a sport jacket. I got the job. Particularly with consulting firms, there is more leeway with dress. In fact, if you're interviewing for a position where you're supposed to be a "thought leader", the more eccentric your dress, the more they'll like it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live in Southern Cali and I am over 30.
What are your thoughts on this?
I live in SoCal (born and raised), am over 30, and worked in and around Irvine for many years. Wear the tie :)

Why settle for merely appropriate? If they were that impressed by your suit on the first occasion, you'll score even more points with the right tie. Besides, everything they say about wearing a tie is true - shows respect for those around you, shows you're taking the interview seriously, etc.

Also, many will disagree with wearing a black suit to an interview (or business at all).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wear a tie. And wear a charcoal suit, not a black one. I don't see quite what you're going for with your proposed Ocean's 12 look, but it is not normative business dress, and it can not possibly be more appropriate for an interview than wearing a tie.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.