Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Note how he "forgot" to button one of his sleeve buttons. He's saying "I'm a rich bastard who can afford custom made suits, you ignorant bumpkin". Not an endearing quality, in my opinion.

By gawd, give me shirts that wrinkle. I'm weraing a BB no-iron right now and I despise it.

Scott

·
Registered
141 Posts
For those of us that do our own laundry, please keep non-iron.:icon_smile:
+1 on that. I suspect that there are people who do their own laundry amongst those who don't like non-iron, but I imagine that they enjoy - or at least don't mind - ironing. Call me cheap, but I'm unwilling to pay to have my shirts laundered when I can just wash them myself, and I absolutely hate ironing. It's therefore non-iron, all the way, for me . . .

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Call me nutty but I don't think this will settle the never-ending debate. I would have been surprised had BB's chief merchandising officer proclaimed that the button-down should never be paired with a suit.
I was somewhat surprised to see he was actually wearing one, especially with the undone cuff button ("Oops, must have missed that one.").

I was wondering where they got the number for "200-odd styles" of shirts the company features, but now I see. He's considering a shirt in a new fabric (BrooksCool) to be a new kind of shirt. Seems to be overstating the importance of BB a bit.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Why does the shirt have to be so fancy? I can't get too worked up about sticking a piece of jewelry through my collar, though I do get worked up about French cuffs: I hate them. I'll take the 'stripped down version' any time.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Note that he dodges the question why, despite the availability of the non-iron shirt, so many men continue to send theirs out to be laundered and pressed.

To me, the fine set of wrinkles in a nicely starched shirt is akin to the gentle creases that appear, with age, in a pair of shell cordovan shoes. But exactly.

tjs

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
His answer to the question about why men have their non-iron shirts commercially laundered and, um, ironed, was interesting:

The main draw of that shirt is not so much that it is noniron, though that's a great attribute, but rather that when the shirt is sharply pressed, a man can put one on at 8:00 a.m. for work and walk into a meeting at 5:00 p.m. with it looking just as crisp.
So they actually expect men to get their non-iron shirts commercially pressed, and the real selling point is that the shirts are non-wrinkle, not non-iron. Why don't they just try starch?

Perhaps we should call our OCBDs "must-wrinkle" instead of "must-iron".

·
Registered
862 Posts
Non iron shirts = bigger profit margins. The genius of selling a cheaper product is to give it an added benefit. Does anyone know the cost of manufacturing a Original Polo Oxford in NC versus the cost in Malaysia?

This apprears to be where Press is headed with the suspense of the flap pocket. Apparently, that pocket costs a lot so it's time to go.

www.thetrad.blogspot.com

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Non iron shirts = bigger profit margins. The genius of selling a cheaper product is to give it an added benefit. Does anyone know the cost of manufacturing a Original Polo Oxford in NC versus the cost in Malaysia?

This apprears to be where Press is headed with the suspense of the flap pocket. Apparently, that pocket costs a lot so it's time to go.

www.thetrad.blogspot.com
Not just that, Tin, but the non iron shirts actually wear out faster. They fray faster at the collar and cuffs and look bad after a year or two. A great strategy: Old shirts you have to replace every five years or more. New shirts you have to replace ever other year.

JB

·
Registered
862 Posts
Tradly- Interesting. I didn't know that. I have tried the non irons twice and returned them both after wearing once to the very kind people in the Chicago loop store.

Oddly enough, I spoke to Tom Davis, the custom shirt man at Madison, and he said they were improving the shirt but his face said something else. Tom would make a great politician. We discussed the made to measure, the huge increase and my frustration they couldn't match sleeve to yolk pattern.

I bought four Original Polo BDs and was told, "You can't go wrong with those." I was also told the large dressing mirror Mr Davis sits nexts to was used by A Lincoln for his fittings. Brooks may not have much to offer me but you gotta love stories like that.

Speaking of which, I mentioned a girl who worked in accounting / HR that I had dated in the late 80s. Tom knew her as well as the Lady in the shoe department who brought me up to speed on the girl and her family along with another guy who worked with Tom. Amazing.

www.thetrad.blogspot.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.