Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone or if you know of any similar situations. Recently my favorite dry cleaner (as well as six other neighborhood restaurants in the Fenway area of Boston) burned down in what they suspect to be an electrical fire during the middle of the night. Fortunately nobody was hurt and other than the casualities to the businesses themselves, it could have been worse. However, I did have a newly made Loro Piana bespoke WW Chan blazer and a couple dress shirts in the building at the time and obviously those have gone to sartorial heaven and have since been re-ordered. But I am curious as to the feasibility of filing a claim with the dry cleaner's insurance company for my damages (I have the tickets and the receipts for my items) as they are somewhat significant.

I've called my own homeowner's insurance, the insurance commissioner for Massachussetts, the General Attorney's office. All to no avail. There is something taped to the door of the building but the entire block is gated off so I can't read it. Anyone experienced something similar?

·
Vendor
1,739 Posts
Unless the owner of the dry cleaner has vanished, you can file a claim against the dry cleaning establishment. Assuming the dry cleaner is a corporation, you have no claim against him personally. ( The attorneys among us may want to elaborate on this.) Most dry cleaners have insurance to cover for lost clothing. You will have to get a letter from your tailor to establish the price you paid and when it was purchased. Be sure you get a "recent" purchase date. If you said a garment was purchased 3 years ago, the insurance company will deduct for depreciation.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't see why your homeowner's wouldn't cover it. Perhaps they would subrogate, but that isn't your issue. If they really don't, I'd update my policy, as losses are usually covered unless specifically excluded (and I've never heard of a homeowners policy that doesn't cover fire). Also, as alluded to by Mr. Winston above, you should always have replacement value not actual cash value coverage for your homeowners policy.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
In my experience, the cleaners will pay for a percentage of a damaged garment, but not the whole garment. A part of me wants to tell you to pursue this to the full extent, another part of me wants to tell you it would be best to just let it go. Keep us updated, won't you? :icon_smile:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.