Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lions rookies go to charm school

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The Detroit Lions' rookies filed in one by one, dressed in sport coats, loafers, slacks and button-down shirts.

Char Goolsby eyed each of them closely, shaking their hands firmly, looking them squarely in the eye, testing them. Twenty years of experience told her who would listen and who would not. She raised an eyebrow when one rookie entered the room eating Funyuns and juggling an orange juice. She sucked in a disappointed breath when she discovered another rookie was wearing boat shoes.

https://sports.espn.go.com/espn/pag...1201&sportCat=nfl&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
Interesting, but probably really valuable. More professions might do this for "rookies." The etiquette parts of the class were probably even more valuable than the clothing tips. (Blasphemy, I know.)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can't imagine how badly I would have acted had I been a gigantic and strong young man, coming directly out of college, paid the NFL league minimum of $285,000, put under tremendous pressure and introduced to the world of celebrity hangers on. Probably would have taken more than an etiquette class to keep me in line at that point but good on the Lions for at least trying to help these guys get their act together.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I like the idea that they're doing a charm shool for these guys. Many of them won't learn the social graces at home, and it prepares them for dealing with the business and mainstram social world

·
Registered
356 Posts
So the lions are the best mannered, best dressed, worst playing team in the NFL. Maybe they made them just a bit too nice, but I'm not complaining, the bears need any win they can get. :icon_smile_big:

It is nice however, to see the team instituting some class and I wish that happened more places.

·
Registered
164 Posts
So the lions are the best mannered, best dressed, worst playing team in the NFL. Maybe they made them just a bit too nice, but I'm not complaining, the bears need any win they can get. :icon_smile_big:

It is nice however, to see the team instituting some class and I wish that happened more places.
Yes, they should have tried some football school, and not just for the rookies. The Rams looked like they needed some pride school.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
At least one team is teaching their players how NOT to shoot themselves in the foot. Is it too late to send Plax there?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Not the only ones

Many businesses hire consultants to help knock the rough edges off newbies. They don't get it at home, and although some colleges have lifestyle offerings, most are just scrambling to get enough solids to graduate. Athletes are businesses and have to deal with businesspeople. Good for the Lions!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Two weeks after I left the family firm for a job up north, my boss called a meeting to discuss the dress code. Male staff had been seen wearing jorts or even long denim pants, which was unacceptable both from a Party standpoint and the idea that we were there to do business with our boss's constituents.

I even got called up and asked why I wore grey khakis with a large break in them. I replied I was hard to fit and most pants were very generous on my legs if they fit my waist, but in 10 minutes, what I assumed to be appropriate business wear (even business casual on Fridays) was vanquished and I resolved to wear a dark suit (grey) every day, pinstripes on thursdays and seersucker on Friday. Unfortunately, I was let go three months later, and am back to wearing whatever I want (usually smart casual style clothes) but hope to get back into a similar job somewhere.

Thomas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.