Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
do you suffer from these? what are good products out there that prevent them? i'm desperate...:(
I have two right now - had them for months - very annoying but not annoying enough to force me to use a PTO day to go to the dermo. I asked a guy at the Art of Shaving about them recently. He said following the "proper" procedures when shaving should greatly mitigate the appearanceof these - lather up well, use a pristine sharp blade, shave with the grain.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Dermatologist suggested to me

I have a fairly heavy beard, with a bit of curl to it. My dermatologist strongly suggested getting away from the multi blade razors (Sensor, Mach 3, et al), and stick to a single blade, duble edged, safety razor (mine is a Merkur). It definitely reduced (almost to nothing) the number of ingrown hairs I get.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
No doubt about it, switching to a DE safety razor will take care of ingrown hairs. However, I grew tired of spending 20 minutes shaving each morning. I went back to a Mach 3 for the sake of speed. I just found some better products that give me less friction when I shave my thick, curly beard. The real trick is to know how every section of your face and neck grows. For example, the left side of my neck grows upwards, but the right side grows downwards. If you can shave once with the grain, and then again across or slightly against it, you won't get ingrown hairs, even if you use a Mach 3 or Fusion.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I used to get them a lot a few years back. The solution: I only shave once, very carefully, WITH the grain, NEVER against the grain. Also, I apply very little pressure. Sure, I don't clean shaven as long (my five o'clock shadow starts around 2:30) but I don't care. I would rather be comfortable. If you use disposable razors like Schick, Gillette, etc, I also find that using them only once (and never more than twice) helps considerably.

I've never tried a Double edge safety razor but I may at some point.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Never against the grain

I used to shave with a real stright razor. You really have to pay attention.

I totally agree with the cautions about never shaving against the grain. I think I have also noticed that with the multi blade razors, I get a few more ingrown hairs.

If you have to be that clean shaven, I suggest shaving more than once a day.

Or, you can wait till you get old like me and much of your beard turns gray and 5 O'clock shadow isn't so much of a problem.:eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.