Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a place to find nicer clothing in the STL area. Most of the "nice" clothes I've bought at places like Kohl's etc end up looking like junk after just a few time wearing. I don't mind paying a premium (to a point) for good clothing. Besides sporadic sales at Brooks Brothers and Kohl's I'm at a loss as to where I can find good clothing.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I imagine there is probably a Joseph A. Banks somewhere in your area. They are a much better substitute for Mens wearhouse, which you may want to avoid. JAB runs some very nice sales and I believe they have one going presently.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I imagine there is probably a Joseph A. Banks somewhere in your area. They are a much better substitute for Mens wearhouse, which you may want to avoid. JAB runs some very nice sales and I believe they have one going presently.
Agreed. JAB may not be particularly well loved by certain members of this forum, but you would be hard-pressed to find someone here that didn't think it was a better alternative than Mens' Wearhouse. And there are many members here that like JAB for certain items, myself included. You can get some great deals on their stuff and its much nicer than 85% of the stuff in the market place. Look around JAB carefully and wait for the right sale and you'll outfit yourself nicely for a modest amount of money.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I think there is one... I'll have to check it out. Do either offer reasonable (free) tailoring?
Most places offer free basic tailoring - pant hems and sleeve hems. You won't likely find other tailoring services free, though. Don't fall into the trap that so many men do and chicken-out of spending money for tailoring - it makes all the difference in the world. Tailoring not only makes your clothes fit much better and much more properly, it often actually extends the useable life of the garment; the better a garment fits, the better it moves with your body, the less wear it absorbs. If you are interested enough in clothes to read this forum you are interested enough in clothes to lay-out a few extra bucks to make sure things fit correctly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spending an appropriate amount of money on clothing is the key. Paying $65 for a polo that will only last 1 or 2 years as opposed to paying $85-90 for a nice shirt that will last 4- 5 years is dumb. I look for quality over labels.

I'm going to try JAB this week if possible. Thanks for the recommendation.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The best value in clothing in St. Louis is Dillards IMO. Buying their merchandise on sale is a good value. Their private lablel dress shirts are excellent and they last forever without shrinking. They carry a much better quality of clothing than Macy's. JAB is fine but only if greatly reduced which it usually is. The other option is to look for sales at the better mens stores like Woody's and Mister Guy. The guys who run Woody's are the best. I know they have some suits, sportcoats and slacks on sale now. Also, Mark Shale at the Galleria is closing. Sale starts today.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I suggest you check out the Scholarshops...thrifts. One is on Clayton across from the Galleria shopping center. Forgot the location of the other but they will tell you at the store mentioned. Of course it helps to know your brands and how to recognize quality because they have a wide range, but there is good stuff to be found in these places if you are a frequent and patient shopper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went to JC Penny last night and picked up some shirts (not BD ;) ) and a decent spring suit. ($130 for both pieces). I know, I Know... it's not awesome quality. I have made it to 29 without a suit and I'd wear it maybe 4-5 times a year at best. I'm specifically looking for 1-2 sport coats/blazers and maybe a few shirts/slacks.

I'd like to spend <$150 for a coat/jacket.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I went to JC Penny last night and picked up some shirts (not BD ;) ) and a decent spring suit. ($130 for both pieces). I know, I Know... it's not awesome quality. I have made it to 29 without a suit and I'd wear it maybe 4-5 times a year at best. I'm specifically looking for 1-2 sport coats/blazers and maybe a few shirts/slacks.

I'd like to spend <$150 for a coat/jacket.
If you dont have the occasion to wear a suit that often then I wouldnt spend a ton of money on it either. One piece of advice that may be useful is to make sure that the fit is very good. A less expensive suit with a great fit can look better than a very expensive suit and a poor fit.
If you are looking for sports coats, check and see if you have a Bergners nearby. They are always running big sales on sportcoats and they have some pretty decent stuff. Lots of Ralph Lauren. I just bought a Joseph A Banks sportcoat marked down to 60 dollars from 500, so you might look there as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.