Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about picking up a pair of Indy boots to serve as shoes for occasional weekend days in the winter, as well as schlepping around in developing countries while traveling. Ideally, I'd liked something that looks decent (without a giant rubber sole, unlike most hiking/work boots), yet is still capable of taking a beating (I'm not exactly going to be keeping them polished and in shoe trees when away from home), protecting my feet, and being comfortable for a week or two at a time.

Now this seems to be exactly what the boot was made for, but is it actually functional enough for that? I'm not talking about hiking up mountains or goign to war in them, just something that will hold up day in and day out in less than optimal conditions. Will the Indy boot serve this purpose, or is it more akin to your average SUV - meaning that it looks rough, but is really only made for walking around the city?

I'm also open to any suggestions if you know of a better option.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I would say that Indy Boot is "tough enough" for your intended purpose. There are more rugged work/hiking boots out there, but they are meant for much harsher use than what you describe.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I was wondering the same thing yesterday in the wimpy DC snow; with an application of a decent conditioner (mink oil possibly) would the Indy Boot be an acceptable choice for stylish wear in the light to moderate snow falls we get a few times a year in the Mid Atlantic?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I was wondering the same thing yesterday in the wimpy DC snow; with an application of a decent conditioner (mink oil possibly) would the Indy Boot be an acceptable choice for stylish wear in the light to moderate snow falls we get a few times a year in the Mid Atlantic?
Mink oil is really hard on leather. I believe it breaks down the leather due to its fat content. I recommend a water based treatment or bees wax. Sno-seals and Biwell are excellent products.

asf

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have a pair of indy boots and wear them as you propose. They are perfect for that purpose except the sole is slippery on ice and packed snow. If you will be walking on that a lot I'd have a different sole added.

That said, I looked for a couple years for a boot that didn't have a huge thick sole and really like the Indy boot. They are meant to be worn with thick socks and seem to run a little wide.

For the best prices and great service call Schmidty at Giesche Shoes in Geneva Illinois - (630) 232-2317. I've ordered several pair of Alden's from him and been very happy. Tell him you heard about him from norton.

I recommend Pecards products for leather care. https://www.pecard.com/

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have some cordovan Indy boots (from LeatherSoul) - I like them quite a bit. They're fairly supportive and tough but not cushioned or 'waterproof'. I cant imagine wearing them out though I wouldnt do yard work in $500 boots either. Perhaps the regular leather commando sole version would work for your purposes. If I wanted something a bit more bootlike and more waterproof and was willing to spend $300, I'd probably look at something from Russell Moccasin, maybe the safari line - you can choose the style, leather, and sole. If thats too 'offroad' then the Alden is a good choice. Those Bean/Chippewa engineer boots are good looking too and less spendy (USA too) but I dont have any experience with them.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'd look elsewhere.

I love my Aldens (no, I do not own the Indy boots). I just think there are more comfortable hard-core heavy duty walking boots out there. Of course, they probably give it up to the Indy's for style.

I'd probably look at some Red Wings.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
^ Clip,

Are those "waterproof?" That is, would you wear them in a wimpy DC snow fall?

Louche

·
Banned
661 Posts
I'm thinking about picking up a pair of Indy boots to serve as shoes for occasional weekend days in the winter, as well as schlepping around in developing countries while traveling. Ideally, I'd liked something that looks decent (without a giant rubber sole, unlike most hiking/work boots), yet is still capable of taking a beating (I'm not exactly going to be keeping them polished and in shoe trees when away from home), protecting my feet, and being comfortable for a week or two at a time.

Now this seems to be exactly what the boot was made for, but is it actually functional enough for that? I'm not talking about hiking up mountains or goign to war in them, just something that will hold up day in and day out in less than optimal conditions. Will the Indy boot serve this purpose, or is it more akin to your average SUV - meaning that it looks rough, but is really only made for walking around the city?

I'm also open to any suggestions if you know of a better option.
The uppers of the Indy boot are rough and the real deal. The sole is long wearing, however if you are going to be on snow or ice, I would suggest you either have re-soled or find an Alden store that carries a commando sole. I have the basic vibram sole and love them, however I did take a hard fall once wearing them on the snow/ice in Jackson WY.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.