Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to throw a data point out there. I ordered a couple of MTM shirts from Individualized in July, and I took delivery of them this week. Problems:

(1) The front plackets of both shirts were crooked. I ordered a large gingham in green and a large check in blue and green, and it was pretty obvious that the placket was not cut and/or sewn straight (the pattern "veered" on both plackets).

(2) No pattern matching of the front plackets! Wow, this was a shocker. In fact, the material next to the placket could not have been aligned worse: on the gingham, the border of the placket was a vertical green stripe, and this was placed right next to another vertical green stripe, making it look like an extra thick stripe. On the check, the checks alternated between blue and green, and two green stripes were placed right next to each other.

I returned the shirts. The sales person tried to say that laundry would fix the issue, not sure who he was trying to fool. But to his credit, he did take the shirts back. I asked if I could get the shirts redone with straight plackets and a pattern match, and he said he couldn't be sure. So I just took the refund.

Is this standard with Individualized? I know it's not exactly the highest end MTM (with this economy, that's why I gave it a try), and I could live with no pattern matching at the shoulder, but sheesh! Any other data points (positive and negative) would be appreciated.

· Registered
53 Posts
As with any company, Individualized is going to make mistakes. The salesman should have known that Individualized would have corrected the problem. When made properly (which it is most of the time), Individualized has a good product for the money. I would just stay away from what they call patch fusing, most cleaners don't know how to iron the collars.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When made properly (which it is most of the time), Individualized has a good product for the money.
Does this mean that in fact Individualized pattern matches the front placket to the rest of the shirt front? Pretty odd that they would bat 0 for 2 if this was the case (i.e., the quality control is not very good).

There have been generally good reviews about Individualized on the forums, just dissatisfied with my particular experience.

· Registered
913 Posts
It is unfortunate you had a bad experience, but I have come to realize that any time you deal with ANY factory (or any person for that matter), there are going to be problems from time to time...the important thing is how it is resolved...while I don't understand the laundry comment, it sounds like the salesperson did right by you by taking the shirt/s back and refunding your money in full...he offered to remake them but couldn't guarantee anything (sounds like he was just trying to be honest) and gave you the choice of what you would like to do...I am not sure why you would then post on a public forum about your "bad experience"...

While I don't currently use IS for shirts, I used them for 4 years and I never had that complaint...

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it sounds like the salesperson did right by you by taking the shirt/s back and refunding your money in full...he offered to remake them but couldn't guarantee anything (sounds like he was just trying to be honest) and gave you the choice of what you would like to do...I am not sure why you would then post on a public forum about your "bad experience"
Perhaps I'm not being very clear. My "bad experience" was not with the sales person nor the shop where I bought the shirts, you are quite right that the sales person did right by me and refunded shirts I was not happy with.

My "bad experience" was due to the fact that I received shirts that had crooked plackets and non pattern matched plackets. The reasons for posting on a public forum are (1) to figure out whether non pattern matched plackets is standard practice for Individualized; (2) if so, then to inform other potential buyers who would find this information to be useful.

I hope my post is not taken to be an all encompassing damnation of Individualized, for that is not what I intended. As I stated in my post, I was just giving a data point and looking for other data points.

And since you have experience with Individualized, would you be able to tell me if non matched front plackets is standard for them?

· Registered
913 Posts
Perhaps I'm not being very clear. My "bad experience" was not with the sales person nor the shop where I bought the shirts, you are quite right that the sales person did right by me and refunded shirts I was not happy with.

My "bad experience" was due to the fact that I received shirts that had crooked plackets and non pattern matched plackets. The reasons for posting on a public forum are (1) to figure out whether non pattern matched plackets is standard practice for Individualized; (2) if so, then to inform other potential buyers who would find this information to be useful.

I hope my post is not taken to be an all encompassing damnation of Individualized, for that is not what I intended. As I stated in my post, I was just giving a data point and looking for other data points.

And since you have experience with Individualized, would you be able to tell me if non matched front plackets is standard for them?
Fair enough...

With regards to the "standard", scroll up :)

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
With regards to the "standard", scroll up :)
Not hearing complaints about non matching plackets is not the same as Individualized having a standard of matching plackets (apologies for the parsing of words, it's the lawyer in me ;)

Huh, I kinda figured that if RTW can match the pattern, then MTM should be able to match the pattern, so it makes sense that Individualized would normally match. Well, as you and another poster previously stated, sometimes mistakes happen.

· Registered
59 Posts
Personally, I think I would have given them another shot at a re-make before I took my refund.

In my experience, you occasionally run into someone lazy, even in the nicer places, who wants to cut corners. But if you call them on it, and let them know that it won't stand, then often they feel that they owe you something, and will do the best job they can, to keep you as a customer.

· Registered
1,240 Posts
I have been buying MTM shirts from Individualized for about 10 years and the only problem I have had was with puckering around the seams of a heavy weight Oxford. Oh, and the collar around the button did not lay right (hard to describe). I returned it without a problem and got another pinpoint.

I really liked some of the patterns that The Custom Shop used to have better, but they have been gone for a number of years.

Cheers, Jim.

· Registered
115 Posts
As with any company, Individualized is going to make mistakes. The salesman should have known that Individualized would have corrected the problem. When made properly (which it is most of the time), Individualized has a good product for the money. I would just stay away from what they call patch fusing, most cleaners don't know how to iron the collars.
Sadly, in this day in age, its very rare to get a guarantee on anything. Puts too much liability on the company. A good and knowledgeable salesman would have assured him that his case was definitely not the norm and if he gave it another try he most likely would be satisfied with the outcome, and reminded him that if he wasn't, he could still get a refund on the 2nd try (all without guaranteeing anything).

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been buying MTM shirts from Individualized for about 10 years and the only problem I have had was with puckering around the seams of a heavy weight Oxford. Oh, and the collar around the button did not lay right (hard to describe). I returned it without a problem and got another pinpoint.
Good to know, thank you. Maybe I'll give it another try, but the warning lights came up when the sales person said he couldn't be sure Individualized would get it right the second time around.

· Registered
210 Posts
the warning lights came up when the sales person said he couldn't be sure Individualized would get it right the second time around.
I salute any honest person in this trade. No, he cannot guarantee it, because the shirt goes trough many steps at the factory and which he doesn't control.
If you want to be sure, you need to find a bespoke shirtmaker who performs all work inhouse. There are very few of these left and the price reflects their skill and labor. That doesn't mean that individualized shirts cannot turn a satisfactory shirt on the next order. (I only refer to the degree of certainty)

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I salute any honest person in this trade. No, he cannot guarantee it, because the shirt goes trough many steps at the factory and which he doesn't control.
If you want to be sure, you need to find a bespoke shirtmaker who performs all work inhouse. There are very few of these left and the price reflects their skill and labor. That doesn't mean that individualized shirts cannot turn a satisfactory shirt on the next order. (I only refer to the degree of certainty)
Perhaps I should clarify: I was not asking for a personal guarantee that the shirts would come back with straight and matched plackets, with 100% certainty. It goes without saying that the sales person has no control of what goes on in the factory, and mistakes happen. I was asking if the crooked and unmatched plackets were an anomaly, and if so, if I had the shirts remade to the regular standards of Individualized, would they have straight and pattern matched plackets.

When the sales person stated that he was not sure, he was saying that he was not sure if Individualized even matches the front placket as a general practice. I do not believe he was saying that, because he did not own the Individualized factory and did not oversee every manufacturing step, he could not be absolutely certain that I would receive the plackets I desired, even though Individualized usually pattern matches.

The degree of certainty I desire is simple: Does your company usually match plackets, and if there is a mistake with this, can you fix it? I did not receive an answer to this from my sales person. I did not ask: Do 1000 out of 1000 shirts you make have matched plackets?

There are many MTM programs that match plackets, and, from the responses so far, it appears that Individualized is one of them. I simply did not receive this information from my sales person, hence the reason for my original post.

· Registered
1,240 Posts
Good to know, thank you. Maybe I'll give it another try, but the warning lights came up when the sales person said he couldn't be sure Individualized would get it right the second time around.
That would worry me too - perhaps more about the salesman than Individualized - not sure what I would do in your situation - perhaps try another store that sells Individualized.

Talbott makes nice MTM shirts and I like some of their fabrics better but I think their prices are up around lower cost bespoke which is too high for me - I just have one of their MTM shirts.

Good luck and maybe you will let us hear how things work out, Jim.

· Registered
1,240 Posts
I stated above that I have only had a problem with an Oxford cloth from Individualized. Well, today I picked up a new shirt from the laundry that they made and it has small wrinkles in the collar and cuffs.

It was done by the same laundry that does all of my shirts and the best one that I have found.

It is slightly annoying because it is a remake of a shirt that had the same problem. I know there will be no problem returning it which I will probably do tomorrow and pick a different fabric. The cloth is white with a hairline red stripe.

Cheers, Jim.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.