Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Women's Wear Daily reports that Barack Obama -- who had not bought a new tuxedo in 15 years -- is working with Chicago-based Hart Schaffner Marx on a new American-made, union-made tuxedo to wear to the Inaugural balls...and Hartmarx President Homi Patel reports that he is working with the President-elect’s staff to determine whether Obama will wear a suit with a topcoat to the swearing-in ceremony. Your thoughts on what you would like to see a President-elect wear while taking the oath of office? Fair warning, this is a style discussion; political comments will find themselves promptly in The Interchange.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I think a conservative charcoal or navy suit with a white shirt will likely be the choice, as I think it should be. As for a topcoat, I think that should depend on the weather.

Given the serious times in which we are living I think the President should manifest a simple, conservative, and most important, functional appearance. If it's cold wear a coat. That's what people do when it's cold.

Cruiser

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ideally, what I would like to see on Obama is a stroller. It's about time someone brought it back. Whatever one's opinion on Reagan, abandoning the stroller was indefensible.

In the alternative, a 3-piece suit in solid navy or grey. Better still with a lapelled vest, but even that is too much to hope for.

Obama does look pretty sharp in his HSM suits. I don't know if he orders the slimmer cut or not, or if it's the standard cut and it just looks good on him because of his height and build.

It's also nice to see HSM get some good publicity.Of course, as a presdiential candidate from Illinois, Obama's only practical choices were HSM and Oxxford, but I wonder if his selection was a factor in Macy's decison to start carrying HSM again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If it were me - I'm similar in age, build, and coloring - I'd go with a charcoal suit, white shirt, gray/black patterned silk tie. People here love navy, and African Americans are typically classified as "winters" as far as coloring goes, but navy blue does me no favors and there's amost none in my wardrobe.

A black raincoat should do him fine, even in January. As Chicagoans, our idea of "chilly" would be colder than a DC native would find comfortable.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Semi-formal day wear, charcoal jacket and vest.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
I agree that he should bring back the stroller or morning coat with dove grey waistcoat and striped trousers. If he needs any reason to go with the top hat, I hope he remembers that even Kennedy (the alleged Hatless Jack!) wore one. If he goes without it, that's fine too. I'd just really like to see a return to the tradition of day formal in the States. A dinner jacket is okay for the ball since it will be at night.

Why try to be Reagan (which he certainly is not)

he should just be himself;
I didn't see this joke coming at all.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Ideally, what I would like to see on Obama is a stroller. It's about time someone brought it back. Whatever one's opinion on Reagan, abandoning the stroller was indefensible.

In the alternative, a 3-piece suit in solid navy or grey. Better still with a lapelled vest, but even that is too much to hope for.

Obama does look pretty sharp in his HSM suits. I don't know if he orders the slimmer cut or not, or if it's the standard cut and it just looks good on him because of his height and build.

It's also nice to see HSM get some good publicity.Of course, as a presdiential candidate from Illinois, Obama's only practical choices were HSM and Oxxford, but I wonder if his selection was a factor in Macy's decison to start carrying HSM again.
Unfortunately, HSM now only offers one vest: a medium to high cut six-button SB vest with four straight welt pockets on the front exterior of the vest (two left-one upper and one lower and two right-one upper and one lower) with no lapel.

The other vest style that HSM offered-a low to medium cut five-button SB vest with two lower welt pockets on the front exterior of the vest (one left, one right) and a notch lapel was discontinued in the fall of 2007 due to almost no demand.

So if President Elect Barrack Obama wanted a vested suit with a lapelled vest, he would have to choose Oxxford MTM. Or much, much better yet, President Elect Obama could have Chris Despos make him a full custom vested suit with a lapelled vest. For Barrack Obama, Chris Despos would have been just as practical a choice as HSM and Oxxford since Chris Despos, like HSM and Oxxford, are made in Barrack's home city of Chicago, Illinois.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.