Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stay home and wear good clothes. Better yet if you go, dress like a bum and you will fit right in on the streets of DC. Wear baggy pants and a cap on sideways if you go over the the SE side, or PG county in MD.

I won't even watch it on TV. Nothing is going to change with this administration, except that the PEOTUS wants to end the Bush tax cuts.

It was GW who established the 10% tax bracket, helping the working poor. Now the new guy wants to eliminate a tax credit for married couples earning over $150,000. That level of income is not rich. Those earning $20K a year pay no taxes, except withholding, and most likely avail themselves of social services and Medicaid; yet, those of us who have worked and risen through the ranks are going to take it on the chin.

Obama is not going to give you change, he will just recylcle Clinton's advisors and continue the corruption characterized by Chicago politics.

Be very proud.:eek:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't realise the Fashion Forum was the Interchange.
Your comment could apply to the OP as well.

If one is going to stand among the masses on an extremely cold day, then no matter the emotional tone of the attendee, one should dress appropriately for the weather and occassion. If one is among the groundlings, dress accordingly. If one is on a platform, and with the dignitaries, then dress like one.

The OP put his heart on his sleeve, so I felt compelled to comment. I am just sick of the love fest for an untested populist, who never stood for anything in his political career.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
I-N-T-E-R-C-H-A-N-G-E!!The OP's post was hardly political,as opposed to yours.

Your comment could apply to the OP as well.

If one is going to stand among the masses on an extremely cold day, then no matter the emotional tone of the attendee, one should dress appropriately for the weather and occassion. If one is among the groundlings, dress accordingly. If one is on a platform, and with the dignitaries, then dress like one.

The OP put his heart on his sleeve, so I felt compelled to comment. I am just sick of the love fest for an untested populist, who never stood for anything in his political career.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I would wear black. And a veil.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Just ignore their passive-aggressive internet "but I didn't really SAY that!" snarks. That's what I do.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Well when the thread got moved, apparently my post got deleted, but that being said...

The evening events are black-tie, not black-tie optional, according to the invitation.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is what put me over the edge (mea culpa)...

I'M Going To The Inauguration-What To Wear?
I generally hate being out with that many people, but it is a very important turning point in my life and the life of this country. And, I was able to get some great tickets from my congressman. And, I was able to get train tickets into D.C. But, it's going to be deathly cold. I have a Polo Duffle (toggle) coat. I was thinking about wearing it along with several layers of thermals and sweaters. I also have a plaid tweed three corner cap with wool ear covers from Paul Stuart. I was thinking about wearing the foregoing without tie and suit, recognizing that I might be out in the freezer box of the U.S. Capital for 4-5 hours to witness history.

What do you think?
The OP felt as if he needed to justify why he was going to the inaugural.

If he had merely stated that he was going to attend and would be standing outside in the cold for hours, then his post would not have had a whiff of politics.

I take no issue that you moved the post, but that you moved it without the OP's original post.

Fair and balanced should be your goal.

I will keep my political rants confined to the Interchange. The Fashion forums are the proper place for rants regarding the indignation over seeing someone wear loafers with a suit.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Agreed Beau. The original post did have political intentions knitted deftly into the text.

Just do what that other guy does: "Just ignore their passive-aggressive internet "but I didn't really SAY that!" snarks."... by posting openly about it, proving you were peeved and can't vent with a crazy rant.

Anyway, he was right. This is a very important (horrifyingly so) turning point in his life (diving economy means he either will gain a lot or lose a lot) and the life of the country (being forced further into debt while further destroying the rights and freedoms of the citizens).

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Agreed Beau. The original post did have political intentions knitted deftly into the text.

Just do what that other guy does: "Just ignore their passive-aggressive internet "but I didn't really SAY that!" snarks."... by posting openly about it, proving you were peeved and can't vent with a crazy rant.

Anyway, he was right. This is a very important (horrifyingly so) turning point in his life (diving economy means he either will gain a lot or lose a lot) and the life of the country (being forced further into debt while further destroying the rights and freedoms of the citizens).
Well said about our country.

I am reading WFB's The Reagan I Knew. RR fundamentally disagreed with the confiscatory attitude of Washington DC and what they took from the states for the intended good of everyone. Welfare in any form doesn't work as a solution. All Ponzi schemes eventually spiral out of control. Soon we might see our governement's Ponzi scheme finally crumble, especially since the new guy thinks that the governement can spend its way out of a recession. It is going to be bad for everyone.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I considered his phrasing to be deliberately non-political. He stated that he doesn't like crowds, but he felt that this was an important event in the history of the country.

He didn't specify whether it was the race of the President-Elect, or the change of political parties in office, or the public attention, or whether the "turning point" was good or bad.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I considered his phrasing to be deliberately non-political. He stated that he doesn't like crowds, but he felt that this was an important event in the history of the country.

He didn't specify whether it was the race of the President-Elect, or the change of political parties in office, or the public attention, or whether the "turning point" was good or bad.
His words: "...very imporant turning point in my life and the life of this country."

IMHO, those words seem to be politically charged. Maybe the OP just reached the age of majority and voted, or perhaps this was the first presidential election in which he voted, or maybe he campaigned for the victor. Obviously he is not jaded and he is enthused about the inauguration of his candidate of choice. All of that emotion is political. Had he wanted to remove politics from his post, he would not have stated such a reason for wanting to attend the event. He "scored" tickets to the event, so obviously he has political connections, may have seating, and thus he is considering dressing in attire more suited to ice-fishing. He's got train tickets from Baltimore. His itinerary is a politically charged event.

Our President elect's race, party affiliation, or young age is of little consequence in the importance of his presidency. What is most important is will he have the forsight to protect the constitutional rights of the citizens of the USA, which is the sworn duty of the office of President.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have to agree with you, Beau. The phrase was clearly political and one should know it would arouse some political response.

As much as some may be excited and enthused about the incoming President, there are many of us who are very strongly concerned about his plans for the future of our country as he moves to transform it.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Well said about our country.

...All Ponzi schemes eventually spiral out of control. Soon we might see our governement's Ponzi scheme finally crumble, especially since the new guy thinks that the governement can spend its way out of a recession. It is going to be bad for everyone.
Thanks, man.

I am just overjoyed by the fact that despite years of crying about how awful it was to spend money in government, the attitude has done a 180 and hit the hyperspace button allowing the Democrat run government to spend INSANELY more than ever... because obviously the ONLY way this country will ever work is if the government spends a trillion or two as fast as possible, despite being in debt beyond the bounds of malfeasance. Funny, isn't it, how this economy wasn't turning around with the tepid spending done recently? It takes a few million in each bureaucrat's pocket to make the country work properly.... good thing the unbiased press agrees.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.