Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening (or morning, as the case may be)

I'd like to start by saying that this board represents a fantastic resource; I've learned a lot by lurking pusillanimously in the background. My thanks go to all those who participate.

Secondly, I have a dilemma.

I've been kindly invited to attend a wedding in June - not my own, I should add. It is to be held in Paris, so different rules may or may not apply (from what I've seen, Parisian taste has a fairly relaxed latin flavour compared to the relatively sombre styles I'm accustomed to in the UK - but if I was at all knowledgeable about these things I wouldn't need to be posting on this board).

It's an afternoon church wedding with an evening reception. The only clue I have from the invitation is "tenue correcte exigée" which, as far as I can ascertain, means formal but not black tie (perhaps just as well in June).

I have three or four suits (dark grey SB, petrol blue SB, dark green DB and sand-coloured DB respectively) that I could wear for the occasion, but the sand-coloured one fits best by far. It's the only one that was hand-tailored (albeit in Morocco; my parsimonious budget can't stretch further than that). It's a linen job, and it's also double-breasted, which is good because it makes my undernourished Limey figure (5ft 11, 155 pounds) look marginally chunkier.

However, the colour worries me. I'm acutely aware that one of the great wedding commandments is: "thou shalt not be more conspicuous in a crowd than is the bride". It is, after all, her day.

So, I have two questions for you gurus:

1) is wearing a light coloured suit at a wedding a terrible faux pas?
2) if I did wear said light coloured suit, whether at this wedding or any other occasion, what combinations of shirt/tie/detail would calm it down to make it less obtrusive?

thanks in anticipation,
D

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.