Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I discovered this forum a few weeks ago and I'm addicted.

I need to upgrade my professional wardrobe and thought I'd give myTailor.com a try based on the positive feedback many of you have provided.

I am going to start with an order of 2 shirts (if that's still the minimum) and a new suit. After reading the myTailor threads, I understand I'll be overwhelmed with fabric options at my appointment if I don't have some ideas going in and therein lies the challenge.

I live in Phoenix, so I need something that's relatively lightweight, but I don't want a true summer suit. Do you have any wool recommendations that could be considered 3-season in Phoenix?

Thanks!

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your responses.

Now I will definitely wear my best fitting shirt and bring a jacket. They're not perfect, but they'll be a good reference point for the conversation. (i.e. more waist suppression and smaller arm holes than this...)

-Phil

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A follow-up: my appointment

I had my appointment last night and I'm quite pleased overall. I wanted to start with just a few shirts and one suit, to see how I like the end product.

I was scheduled with Andre Lani at the Embassy Suites near Biltmore Fashion Square in Phoenix. His suite had a large conference room where the fabric samples were placed for viewing (in total, he probably had over 50 sample books, it was overwhelming!)

There was one other gentleman choosing fabrics while I was being measured.

Andre was very informative while taking my measurements, pointing out the areas that "off the rack" suits would let me down. This was before I put on my jacket. He took each measurement twice (in the case of my shoulders and neck, he did that 3-4 times for confirmation). He also measured each arm and wrist independently, which I expected.

Once the measurements were taken, he pointed me to the lighter weight wools (critical for my comfort in Phoenix!). I found a navy blue with subtle herringbone stripe that I really like. At this point he showed me a similar Scabal fabric, which was beautiful, but was more expensive than what I wanted to pay on my first MyTailor suit. I went with the original fabric for $795.

When discussing styles, he was very receptive to my ideas where I knew exactly what I wanted (waist suppression, vents, etc) and he also helped me in areas I wasn't certain about (which pleat style trouser would go best with my jacket style). I settled on a 2-button

I also purchased 4 shirts. Initially I was only going to do 2, but decided to get some combinations of cuffs (3 different ones) and collars (3 different ones). It was no problem getting the left cuff slightly larger than the right to allow for a thicker watch.

I asked about package discounts for suits, and they're available for packages of 3. I told him I wanted to order 1 at first to judge the fit and finish before committing. He said he'd charge me full price for this suit, but once I'm satisfied and order the additional two, he'll apply the package discount. He was quite confident I'll be more than pleased with the results.

In about 8 weeks I'll be able to post some pictures. I'm quite excited, since I've read so many positive reviews. I'm also thrilled with the fabrics I selected and the way I was treated throughout the process.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you ask what the minimum shirt order was? I've read other people say 2, but I recently emailed them and they say it's 4.
Their standard is 4, but I've also heard they'll make exceptions for new customers. I could've walked out of there with an order of 2 if I really wanted to. I probably would've had to withstand a sales pitch to do it though.

I went with 4 rather than 2 because at $79 per shirt, it wasn't that big of a risk to me to double the investment before seeing the final product on me. I very much wanted to make a comparison between different collar and cuff combinations. It helped matters that the gentleman before me ordered 9!

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My MTM Mytailor.com (Andre Lani measured) coat and pants arrived today. I ordered on April 15th, it was promised on June 15th and arrived May 12th. So I am certainly pleased with the service.
Perry
Perry,
That's fantastic! I ordered the same day and was also expecting June 15th. Hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised today/tomorrow. If my suit and shirts arrive, I'll certainly be posting pictures this weekend.

By any chance have you purchased anything at Georgio Moda, the custom shop at Camelback and 32nd? It shares a strip mall with a Gelato Spot near Zen 32 and Molina Jewelers. I'm curious how their craftsmanship and prices stack up.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, I just received my package from MyTailor yesterday. Written instructions were included to have the suit sent to the cleaners before gauging fit.

I tried both pieces on anyway. The jacket was certainly too wrinkled to gauge fit. The trousers felt and looked pretty much spot-on. I really like the rubber grips they sew in the waistband.

I laundered the 4 shirts I received as well. I did notice that they didn't put a convertible cuff on one of the shirts, despite Andre's recommendation that I try one.

I'll be posting pictures of my new suit (navy herringbone stripe) after memorial day weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.