Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I discovered this forum a few weeks ago and I'm addicted.

I need to upgrade my professional wardrobe and thought I'd give myTailor.com a try based on the positive feedback many of you have provided.

I am going to start with an order of 2 shirts (if that's still the minimum) and a new suit. After reading the myTailor threads, I understand I'll be overwhelmed with fabric options at my appointment if I don't have some ideas going in and therein lies the challenge.

I live in Phoenix, so I need something that's relatively lightweight, but I don't want a true summer suit. Do you have any wool recommendations that could be considered 3-season in Phoenix?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I've nothing to add in terms of the style you may choose.

BUT, from my experience with Mr. Hemranjani it is critical to take a jacket that fit's you correctly for your fitting.

I will continue to be a customer of Joe Hemranjani now that they have measurements. But it was quite disappointing to wait with anticipation only to have a poor fit because I didn't take a jacket that fit me correctly to the appointment.

Best wishes,

Bill Woodward
Portland, Oregon

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I've nothing to add in terms of the style you may choose.

BUT, from my experience with Mr. Hemranjani it is critical to take a jacket that fit's you correctly for your fitting.

I will continue to be a customer of Joe Hemranjani now that they have measurements. But it was quite disappointing to wait with anticipation only to have a poor fit because I didn't take a jacket that fit me correctly to the appointment.

Best wishes,

Bill Woodward
Portland, Oregon
Whilst it is helpful to wear what you consider to be a reasonably fitting jacket - there really is no excuse for the man to deliver something which "was quite disappointing to wait with anticipation only to have a poor fit ". this does emphasise the hit and miss ways of this supplier.

I have to say that on those rare occasions when I have changed cutters or tried a new on for interest, I have never had anything which was disappointing.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I did the same a couple of years ago during their visit to Denver. My original plan was two shirts and one suit. I wore a MTM shirt from a local shop and a great fitting HF suit.

The mytailor.com measurements were fairly complete, but then he measured the shirt and suit I was wearing as much as he measured me. I explained that I wanted a suit and shirts made to my measurements, not a copy of what I was wearing. He said "yes, that's what you are getting", but I felt otherwise.

I decided to just get the two shirts, see how they turned out before ordering the suit. Glad I did. Shirts are OK, but not great. Having done more research on MTM suits since then, I would spend a bit more and go with Samuelsohn. A good fitting OTR suit with a bit of tailoring is better than an ill-fitting MTM.

Just my opinion.

Twotone

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Whilst it is helpful to wear what you consider to be a reasonably fitting jacket - there really is no excuse for the man to deliver something which "was quite disappointing to wait with anticipation only to have a poor fit ". this does emphasise the hit and miss ways of this supplier.

I have to say that on those rare occasions when I have changed cutters or tried a new on for interest, I have never had anything which was disappointing.
While I can't disagree with your basic premise I do think an explanation is in order.

First and foremost Mytaylor.com is not bespoke. I did not approach Mytaylor.com with any notion that I was going for a bespoke experience, hence I was not expecting one.

My first bespoke experience was in the U.K. in 1992 at what is known locally as a "mid range" taylor. With no insult intended, had I expected the same experience from Mytaylor.com that I received in the U.K. all those years ago I would have been very sad indeed.

I do not speak for Mr. Hemranjani at Mytaylor.com but given his years of experience I seriously doubt he would attempt to compare his service to that of a bespoke Taylor.

After having purchased a suit and a couple of blazers from Joe Hemranjani at Mytaylor.com I can say he delivers a product that is superior in terms of material, fit, and finish, than one can get off the rack at most any higher end retailer for about the same price or less.

I would recommend Mytaylor.com if one approaches his service with the above expectation,...(but again I stand by my claim that you should wear a suit jacket to your fitting that fits you well just as he recommends!);)

My first blazer from Joe Hemranjani was fully canvassed with all the upgraded features one would expect from a made to measure experience. I selected an upgraded fabric from the same selections one might expect from a high end Taylor. I choose working cuff button holes and several handy little pockets all for $550.-! I'm convinced there is no better value for one's money in a new garment.

Best wishes,

Bill Woodward
Portland, Oregon

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
The mytailor.com measurements were fairly complete, but then he measured the shirt and suit I was wearing as much as he measured me. I explained that I wanted a suit and shirts made to my measurements, not a copy of what I was wearing. He said "yes, that's what you are getting", but I felt otherwise.
Honestly I've been underwhelmed by the mytailor suits I've seen, so you probably made the right call.

That said just about any tailor is going to measure the suit you came in with, just so he can establish a reference for what he sees when you're wearing it.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I have been pleased with my My Tailor shirts. I have done no suits. One caveat is that the fabrics he uses (at least that I have chosen over 7 shirts) do shrink considerably so the shirt fit is way large particularly in the neck when received but will fit nicely to your measurements after a couple of washings/launderings.

Perry

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your responses.

Now I will definitely wear my best fitting shirt and bring a jacket. They're not perfect, but they'll be a good reference point for the conversation. (i.e. more waist suppression and smaller arm holes than this...)

-Phil

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A follow-up: my appointment

I had my appointment last night and I'm quite pleased overall. I wanted to start with just a few shirts and one suit, to see how I like the end product.

I was scheduled with Andre Lani at the Embassy Suites near Biltmore Fashion Square in Phoenix. His suite had a large conference room where the fabric samples were placed for viewing (in total, he probably had over 50 sample books, it was overwhelming!)

There was one other gentleman choosing fabrics while I was being measured.

Andre was very informative while taking my measurements, pointing out the areas that "off the rack" suits would let me down. This was before I put on my jacket. He took each measurement twice (in the case of my shoulders and neck, he did that 3-4 times for confirmation). He also measured each arm and wrist independently, which I expected.

Once the measurements were taken, he pointed me to the lighter weight wools (critical for my comfort in Phoenix!). I found a navy blue with subtle herringbone stripe that I really like. At this point he showed me a similar Scabal fabric, which was beautiful, but was more expensive than what I wanted to pay on my first MyTailor suit. I went with the original fabric for $795.

When discussing styles, he was very receptive to my ideas where I knew exactly what I wanted (waist suppression, vents, etc) and he also helped me in areas I wasn't certain about (which pleat style trouser would go best with my jacket style). I settled on a 2-button

I also purchased 4 shirts. Initially I was only going to do 2, but decided to get some combinations of cuffs (3 different ones) and collars (3 different ones). It was no problem getting the left cuff slightly larger than the right to allow for a thicker watch.

I asked about package discounts for suits, and they're available for packages of 3. I told him I wanted to order 1 at first to judge the fit and finish before committing. He said he'd charge me full price for this suit, but once I'm satisfied and order the additional two, he'll apply the package discount. He was quite confident I'll be more than pleased with the results.

In about 8 weeks I'll be able to post some pictures. I'm quite excited, since I've read so many positive reviews. I'm also thrilled with the fabrics I selected and the way I was treated throughout the process.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I had my appointment last night and I'm quite pleased overall. I wanted to start with just a few shirts and one suit, to see how I like the end product.

I was scheduled with Andre Lani at the Embassy Suites near Biltmore Fashion Square in Phoenix. His suite had a large conference room where the fabric samples were placed for viewing (in total, he probably had over 50 sample books, it was overwhelming!)

Andre was very informative while taking my measurements, pointing out the areas that "off the rack" suits would let me down. This was before I put on my jacket. He took each measurement twice (in the case of my shoulders and neck, he did that 3-4 times for confirmation). He also measured each arm and wrist independently, which I expected.

Once the measurements were taken, he pointed me to the lighter weight wools (critical for my comfort in Phoenix!). I found a navy blue with subtle herringbone stripe that I really like. At this point he showed me a similar Scabal fabric, which was beautiful, but was more expensive than what I wanted to pay on my first MyTailor suit. I went with the original fabric for $795.

When discussing styles, he was very receptive to my ideas where I knew exactly what I wanted (waist suppression, vents, etc) and he also helped me in areas I wasn't certain about (which pleat style trouser would go best with my jacket style). I settled on a 2-button

I also purchased 4 shirts. Initially I was only going to do 2, but decided to get some combinations of cuffs (3 different ones) and collars (3 different ones). It was no problem getting the left cuff slightly larger than the right to allow for a thicker watch.

I asked about package discounts for suits, and they're available for packages of 3. I told him I wanted to order 1 at first to judge the fit and finish before committing. He said he'd charge me full price for this suit, but once I'm satisfied and order the additional two, he'll apply the package discount. He was quite confident I'll be more than pleased with the results.

In about 8 weeks I'll be able to post some pictures. I'm quite excited, since I've read so many positive reviews. I'm also thrilled with the fabrics I selected and the way I was treated throughout the process.
Sounds like a fun evening. Look forward to seeing what you get.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you ask what the minimum shirt order was? I've read other people say 2, but I recently emailed them and they say it's 4.
Their standard is 4, but I've also heard they'll make exceptions for new customers. I could've walked out of there with an order of 2 if I really wanted to. I probably would've had to withstand a sales pitch to do it though.

I went with 4 rather than 2 because at $79 per shirt, it wasn't that big of a risk to me to double the investment before seeing the final product on me. I very much wanted to make a comparison between different collar and cuff combinations. It helped matters that the gentleman before me ordered 9!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
My first online shirt order was for 1 shirt. It actually fit quite well. The subsequent orders are minimum of 4 I believe. My adjustments for the second order were simply another 1/4 inch in neck size and a 1/4 inch of extra cuff size on each side. I had started with 1/4 inch larger for a watch on the left side and simply added a 1/4 to each to get where I wanted. I had self measured but I did it rather painstakenly over several nites and has also test measured a good fitting shirt.

I ordered a jacket and slacks today. I had been measured by Andre yesterday and was quite pleased with the care he took. I had by accident on a pretty good fitting suit yesterday. Today I took my best fitting sport jacket (A Barney's label in 54L) and a pair of Oxxford slacks that fit extremely well. After measuring them he only saw a 1/4 to 1/2 inch difference in several areas (jacket length and pants rise) with all else being spot on to what he measured yesterday. At his suggestion I left him the jacket and slacks to mail with my fabric (sourced from the Sales Forum here) to HK. He indicated that it would be harder for anyone to misinterpret his measurements with a coat and slacks to take a pattern from.

Hopefully the OP and I will be able to post pics in about 8-10 weeks. The price is right. The CMT cost was a bit less than $500 for the coat and that cost did not change when I requested lapel hand stitching and working buttons for the sleeves. I may not end up with full canvas but hope to get a coat with similar chest canvas (very light) and shoulder padding (hardly any) as the coat I have sent. Andre indicated in his experience I should expect this from them.

Perry

·
Registered
19 Posts

I've been dealing with Andre for sometime now when he comes through Scottsdale. Prices and quality have been excellent. Andre is a real professional and a pleasure to deal with.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have been buying shirts from Hemrajani for several years now and have been very satisfied. Go in knowing what you want in terms of shirt fabric. That is blue strip, solid white, pin point, etc. From there, ask the rep and he will guide you to the alternatives. The fabric selection is only overwhelming if you have no clue what you want or need.

I have never bought a suit from Hemrajani and have no intentions of doing so. Except for Andy's suit, all post's look poor to ghastly. I do know many who buy Hong Kong suits with great success and they all started with 3 fittings in Hong Kong and now buy on US tours of their tailor. The travel fittings seem to work for shirts, but not suits.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I have to say that Patrick Chu at WW Chan eyeballed me pretty darn well on his first try for a suit w/o any fittings.

Though, even after alterations, it doesn't fit as well as the second suit. The third was fantastic, almost perfect, and the fourth comes in about six weeks ;)

I ought to post some pictures. Edit: here goes, suit #3 pre-alterations (just rotate one of the sleeves a little).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Photos please?
No photos, but I did have them made with extra wide belt loops and a loop to hold my belt in place. Not sure what this loop is called, but its designed to hold your belt up - a very nice feature. I like a better constructed waist band than what you'd find in most RTW trousers - one of the reasons I went custom. I live in AZ - its already in the 90's some days. As such I need to watch the fabric weight. Andre Lani does a really good job with fabric weights. I've said it before - Andre Lani and Joe (MyTailor.com) do a very good job and are extremely knowledable. Some of the other "custom" salesmen I've dealt with are pushy and just bad. I think they were bad insurance salesmen before they became bad clothing salesmen.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
My MTM Mytailor.com (Andre Lani measured) coat and pants arrived today. I ordered on April 15th, it was promised on June 15th and arrived May 12th. So I am certainly pleased with the service.

On April 14th I recalled Andre was in town and I wanted to stop in. I did so and he measured both me and the suit I wore. Since I had not planned on seeing him that day I was quite fortunate that I had on one of my best fitting suits....a Kiton 14 micron e54L that is a perfect OTR size for me. The only alterations needed are sleeve shortening and trouser cuffs. I was impressed that Mr Lani took the measurements with great care and I decided to try a MTM experience with them that day. I had 3 meters of fabric that I had bought through Andrew Rogers from this site and made an appt to see Mr Lani the next day with fabric in hand.

I went back on the 15th and as well as the Kiton fits me I took a recent purchase (a Caruso sourced Barney's label jacket and a pair of Oxxford slacks that fit me particularly well). I wanted Andre to again measure these to see if there was a difference of measurements from the Kiton. It turned out that there was no change (other than a minor 1/2 inch trouser width at the knee from the Oxxford to the Kiton). Again I was very impressed with his care in measuring.

As it turns out he stated that if we sent the Barney's and Oxxford garments to HK they would have little opportunity to make a cutting error. I immediately agreed and off they went.

So I can't say how MyTailor.com will do with a true MTM although I expect quite well if Joe or Andre are measuring you with no time pressure. But I can say that I am very impressed with their ability to copy an existing garment. The initial fit and construction are excellent. I had asked for a very light canvas and very little shoulder padding and definitely got it. The fit for both jacket and pants appear identical to the garments I sent them.

The pricing was excellent with the CMT cost incl pick stitching and real buttonholes being $500 for the jacket. The slacks from one of their more expensive fabrics were $375. Their construction looks quite good. My initial tryon was with the garments just out of the package. I have steamed them and will follow up when I try them on again tomorrow and report back.

But at first blush I am very pleased, both the the construction and the quick turnaround.

I do believe I will still try a Richard Lim Bespoke experience (likely around Memorial Day) but for a MTM I would call this an excellent experience.

Perry

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.