Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure that this has been discussed here ad nauseum but can anyone fill me in on the primary differences between Monti and Canclini shirting materials?

I was told that Imperial Black uses a middle of the pile material from Monti. Im somewhat familiar with Canclini as I have had shirts made with their material in the past. I like the signature look and fit of the Imperial Black's but know next to nothing about Monti's offerings.

Please enlighten me. I have a hard time buying a shirt that I can't touch. probably old fashioned.

BN

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
canclini dandy pop- Imperial Black

I should add that one of the Canclini fabrics that I used was "Dandy Pop". It is my understanding that this is from the lower end of their spectrum. However, it does feel comparable to my Hilditch and Key shirts. I seem to favor a lighter (not thinner) material. I know that people are a big fan of the heavier, more sumptuous feeling Italian fabrics but I feel that the lighter ones look crisper with a good ironing. Still have no idea what Imperial Black is using as they don't give fabric specs. Ive just been told it's Monti mid range and that's it. At $170.00 I want to know what I am getting.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
tried to find a real website all i found was a blog.

FYI
Canclini still produces all fabric in Italy as far as I know.
Monti is prooducing the bulk of their fabric in India.
nothing wrong with that, as the quality is very nice. Just don't call it Italian.
and buying a shirt for $170 that you can't try on, is a bit of a pig in a poke.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imperial Black Monti

Thanks for the input. I couldn't find a website either. A friend of mine has two of their shirts. I'm going to check them out this afternoon and will report my findings. He said they where made in Italy but didn't say anything about the fabric. I heard Monti and assumed Italy on the fabric also.

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imperial Black shirts

I had a look at my friends Imperial Black Shirts yesterday. I took some pictures so will post when I upload (and figure out how to do it). The first thing I noticed where the buttons. Really nice and thick with a pleasing "lozenge" shape. I looked at three shirts. Two had the same feel as a Hilditch & Key fabric while the third had more of the weight and soft feel of an Italian shirt (maybe Truzzi?). I'm more a fan of the tighter weave and weight that British Manufacturers seem to use (I suppose that's why I love H&K). Strange thing is that I expected the Italian feeling shirt to be priced much higher but he said they where all the same price. Although he wasn't sure as his wife purchased them for him.

Fit is definitely on the slim side but not too much so. Although I tend to purchase slim fit shirts anyway (save for the H & K's which are a bit blousey for me).

Overall I was impressed. Now if I can just figure out how to order. Any ideas?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Very interested in seeing the pics if you can post them. Where did your friend's wife purchase his Imperial Black shirts? Are these OTR at some sort of local store?

Sean Paul

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imperial Black Pictures & an odd company

I'm having a hell of a time getting these pictures to post. As a last resort I'll open a Flickr or Smugmug account.

In the meantime I found out a bit more info about Imperial Black. This could well be the most bizarre email regarding a clothing purchase I have ever received.

1) They make approx 50 shirts every 6 weeks and use 4-5 different types of shirting material for each run. Those materials are then "retired".

2) They sell to friends- and apparently friends of friends. To get on their list I was told (friends wife) to send an email stating "goggy, on list please" in the subject heading. I sent a request and was told that fabric choices would be emailed later this week. I was then asked my location as they "won't sell many of the same shirt into a single market". I was also asked my inseam, neck, chest, height and weight. There seems to be one style of shirt and it is a slim cut. The only collar option is a modified spread.

3) All shirts are made in Italy and fabric sourced 100% from Monti Italy

4) Lead time is about six weeks.

5) They don't have a website but have a blog that seems to be more about friends of theirs than anything else. I was told that specifics about fabrics and pricing would be sent in the email.

6) Depending on what is offered in the email I'll probably order a shirt. the whole process seems very odd but I am more than intrigued.

I'll keep you posted

BN

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.