Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
wish it was hot as the Jamie Lynn Spears story

I really don't see it affecting the campaign much at all. Total wash. Pro-lifers can spin it their way, opponents another way.

It gives her an excuse to play the victim card of 'keep my family out of this' but then she can't hype her pro-life cred with her Downs Syndrome child without looking inconsistent.

As Alan Keyes pointed out in 2000, McCain doesn't get the pro-life cause. The ticket really needs to pander to that single-issue contingent.

·
Honors Member, <br>Varsity Captain
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No more relevant than the sexual orientation of Dick Cheney's daughter.

Buzz
I agree that it is not relevant, however, the media is still going to cover the story just like they did with Spears. My question is, will this affect McCain? I have to wonder if he even knew about this. I can't imagine he would want this type of publicity.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I really find it difficult to believe that Palin would hide this fact from McCain, or that those vetting her would not discover it.

Should be irrelevant. Of course, there will be certain elements that will try (unsuccessfully) to make an issue of it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
McCain did know about it. I don't see how someone is playing the victim card by asking that their minor daughter be kept out of political discussions. The Daily Kos posted a completely baseless story about how Palin's recently born son was actually her daughter's child and that Palin covered it up by faking a pregnancy. As proof they posted pictures of the daughter and analyzed her stomach fat in order to show she was pregnant. it turns out the picture they posted was over two years old before either Palin or her daughter were pregnant. So basically, they said a 16 year old girl who wasn't pregnant looked fat enough to be pregnant. All of this after 4 days. Again, I don't see how asking that minor children not be dragged into campaigns is "playing the victim".

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
It gives her an excuse to play the victim card of 'keep my family out of this' but then she can't hype her pro-life cred with her Downs Syndrome child without looking inconsistent.
I honestly thought this thread would have to go further before the really nonsensical comments came out! How does this no allow her to "hype" her pro-life credentials?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I really find it difficult to believe that Palin would hide this fact from McCain, or that those vetting her would not discover it.

Should be irrelevant. Of course, there will be certain elements that will try (unsuccessfully) to make an issue of it.
McCain said he knew about it before when deciding who to pick and she had already told him.

I
Did you really feel that comment is edifying...what are you really trying to say?

·
Registered
996 Posts
I like consistency.

Her raising of a Downs Syndrome child is walking the walk in the pro-life world. It's a great story, and it will be mentioned. The child will be displayed. The less politically advantageous pregnant daughter story will be hushed, and anyone mentioning it will be treated like they're entering taboo territory.

Nobody sees a double standard with this?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Her raising of a Downs Syndrome child is walking the walk in the pro-life world. It's a great story, and it will be mentioned. The child will be displayed. The less politically advantageous pregnant daughter story will be hushed, and anyone mentioning it will be treated like they're entering taboo territory.

Nobody sees a double standard with this?
That is without a doubt one of the most absurd statements I have heard on this board. But I suppose it makes perfectly good sense to you.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Chats,

I see that they are two completely different issues.

The mother decided to have her baby, regardless of its Downs issue. A choice that she made that many believe displays her fine character.

The daughter foolishly got herself pregnant. This was not a choice her mother made (though I guess the left will try to make it seem like the mother is a failure because of it).

Why should the daughter's pregnancy be any issue? Can you not see the difference?

On the other hand, Barack has displayed his children, why would you take issue with Sarah displaying hers, if she wished to?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have been a huge fan of Palin's since the announcement of her being the VP pick was made...I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about her...to be honest - this "revelation" is a bit disappointing to me...while I am not sure what affect it will have on the campaign in general, I am disgusted with this recent "trend" of teenagers getting pregnant...I blame Hollywood for making it look "cool" and every time I hear another story, I cringe...personally, I think it is a reflection of poor parenting in many instances (that is my personal opinion and I am sorry if I offended anyone)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Isn't this only an issue with Republicans because they don't want to teach sex education or give contraceptives to teenagers. LOL @ their beliefs. Guess the bible didn't work out this time. So sad. Still if Dems want to show themselves to be the better party they should take the high ground and leave this alone.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
From what I understand, McCain knew about it before he announced Palin as his running mate. As others have noted, this is a non-issue and I would be shocked if the Obama campaign uses this against her...if only for the fact this type of thing happens to families from all walks of life, and all political stripes, every day accross the U.S.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Isn't this only an issue with Republicans because they don't want to teach sex education or give contraceptives to teenagers. LOL @ their beliefs. Guess the bible didn't work out this time. So sad. Still if Dems want to show themselves to be the better party they should take the high ground and leave this alone.
I'm sure they'll take the "high" ground. Much like you have ;)

·
Registered
323 Posts
From what I understand, McCain knew about it before he announced Palin as his running mate. As others have noted, this is a non-issue and I would be shocked if the Obama campaign uses this against her...if only for the fact this type of thing happens to families from all walks of life, and all political stripes, every day accross the U.S.
True True. McCain wanted to use the jail bait as attack ad bait. Get the Dems to go out of bounds and bash em back on it. Good strategy. But why does it happen every day across the US? Can't blame parenting. It's nature to want to "get it on." I don't know at what age people forget what it's like to be a horny teenager because if you really do remember then you would understand abstinance doesn't work. And you don't give a damn what your parents say no matter how many times they beat you with a bible. Realistic, progressive, policies will prevent teenage pregnancies. Or tell them to do it in the butt like Larry Craig.

·
Registered
996 Posts
At least Bristol won't be falling down drunk like Jenna Bush

Let's face it, the right had a good snicker at Al Gore's kid and his DUI/possession scandal. The left deserves to snicker here.

Obama has nothing to gain and lots to lose by focusing on it. His supporters and objective journalists do not. It is relevant, as the GOP (cynically IMHO) touts itself as the family values party.

·
Registered
913 Posts
True True. McCain wanted to use the jail bait as attack ad bait. Get the Dems to go out of bounds and bash em back on it. Good strategy. But why does it happen every day across the US? Can't blame parenting. It's nature to want to "get it on." I don't know at what age people forget what it's like to be a horny teenager because if you really do remember then you would understand abstinance doesn't work. And you don't give a damn what your parents say no matter how many times they beat you with a bible. Realistic, progressive, policies will prevent teenage pregnancies. Or tell them to do it in the butt like Larry Craig.
There are options besides abstinence - I wasn't a teenager THAT long ago but when I was, it was shameful to get pregnant...people took extra measures to make sure it didn't happen...("doing it in the butt" wasn't popular yet ;) )...I remember watching disgusting videos of STDs - that alone was enough to scare us into either keeping our pants on or making sure we were "protected" ...now, I suspect those videos aren't shown anymore because someone thought they were "inappropriate or offensive"...

·
Registered
431 Posts
One of the things to keep in mind here is that Palin's daughter is a minor- 17 years old. I think when children are over 18 and actively involved in the election process it's a bit more fair game. But as a rule the trend toward attacking children and spouses of candidates is distasteful.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.