1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
As Curly would say: "What a maroon!"

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Do you guys not recognize a tongue in cheek commentary. And let's face it, that IS about the most feminine looking shoe for men that I have ever seen. The writer is right, it's essentially a woman's shoe.

I have admitted to not being a fan of opera pumps; however, there are opera pumps out there that have a more masculine appearance. I think that's all he's saying.

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
They are unusual shoes, sort of a combo of Albert slippers (velvet) and opera pumps (grosgrain bow). I don't think I've ever seen a pair like them before.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I am surprised that these Louboutin shoes are only ...

$178.00. Many of his women's sandal run about a $1000. I don't think they are a lot different in design than the BB or C&J opera pumps, other than they appear to be made out of suede rather than patent leather or calf skin. I also don't feel that they are too feminine to wear with black tie. I have had the BB Opera Pumps for some time. Their low vamp gives them a more sophisticared look than traditional patent leather laceups. And there are those that proclaim that all patent leather shoes are feiminine looking. frank sinatra was a devotee of Opera Pumps and he even wore them with a raised heel to give him some added height when appearing on stage. No one could accuse Sinatra of being feminime.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
frank sinatra was a devotee of Opera Pumps and he even wore them with a raised heel to give him some added height when appearing on stage. No one could accuse Sinatra of being feminime.
I don't think anyone said that the person wearing the shoes was feminine, only that those particular shoes are feminine looking; which they are in my opinion.

As for Mr. Sinatra, his tough guy was more image than substance, although he did like to be abusive to women. Let's just say that I doubt that Johnny Cash would have worn those shoes; and at 6'2" he didn't need elevated heels to lift him up like the 5'7" Sinatra did. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
I like opera pumps precisely because they hark back to an era when gentlemen were real men--when impugning someone's honor was likely to result in a "meeting" where you could end up with a couple of feet of steel transfixing your guts!

However, the world of courtly elegance and "killing gentlemen" would obviously be totally alien to certain types on this forum. (At least one prolific poster I could think of!)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't think anyone said that the person wearing the shoes was feminine, only that those particular shoes are feminine looking; which they are in my opinion.

As for Mr. Sinatra, his tough guy was more image than substance, although he did like to be abusive to women. Let's just say that I doubt that Johnny Cash would have worn those shoes; and at 6'2" he didn't need elevated heels to lift him up like the 5'7" Sinatra did. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser
In all seriousness:
1. I'm a Sinatra nut
2. People consistently impugned Sinatra's masculinity because he was so short, so skinny, wore floppy bow ties and didn't join the military. Look at any World War II Warner brothers cartoon and he's portrayed as a lamppost or something overly skinny. (Sinatra had a punctured eardrum, btw, and was 4-F.)
People also impugned the masculinity of zoot suiters and lots of people involved in the jazz scene in the 1940s.
3. While Sinatra had some pretty famous public disagreements with women journalists, particularly Dorothy Killgalen that spilled over to the daughter of one of his buddies, Barbara Walters... I've read plenty that said he was just fine with women and had issues with men too. If anything could be said in a blanket statement about him being a misogynist, he pretty much couldn't deal with his wives having their own careers but then had serious relationships with Lauren Bacall, Mia Farrow and Ava Gardner, who all worked at the time. Mia basically left him to do Rosemary's Baby, but he gets all the criticism for serving her with divorce papers on the set of the film. Afterwards, she flew to India with the Beatles- it's not like she went out of her way to save their marriage even if he was a jerk.

He mixed his social and national political politics pretty evenly between the liberal and conservative, sharing a room with Sammy Davis Jr, recording "The House I Live In" and naming his son Franklin Sinatra after Roosevelt as well as dating Nancy Reagan, etc. So I tend to think its hard to pigeonhole him as one way or another.

·
Registered
316 Posts
BTW, does the british legal system still ask judges and related officials to wear powdered wigs? Then I guess opera pumps are ok in Europe.

West of the Appalachians and south of Washington, DC I cannot imagine those shoes working, regardless of what they once stood for, does one treat their clothes as a costume or as clothes that ease one into appropriate social situations.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Do you guys not recognize a tongue in cheek commentary. And let's face it, that IS about the most feminine looking shoe for men that I have ever seen. The writer is right, it's essentially a woman's shoe.

I have admitted to not being a fan of opera pumps; however, there are opera pumps out there that have a more masculine appearance. I think that's all he's saying.

Cruiser
Isn't it the other way around? A mans shoe copied for women.

By masculine you mean more clunky and less elegant?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I've re-read the commentary by Thesmartstylist and I do not find any tongue in cheek in any of his commentaries.

He's basically a young man playing at being a fashionista.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Isn't it the other way around? A mans shoe copied for women.
No, if you Google "opera pumps" you will come up with more hits for women's shoes than men's shoes.

By masculine you mean more clunky and less elegant?
Like so many often do here you are making a leap that I didn't make. While I am not particularly fond of opera pumps, my issue here isn't with opera pumps in general but rather with that particular shoe referenced by the OP. It looks like a woman's shoe.

I can do without the bow on any opera pump, but to me the problem with that shoe is the heel. It's feminine looking. It's too short horizontally and shaped like the heel of a woman's shoe.

Even if I was a fan of opera pumps I couldn't bring myself to wear something that feminine looking. There are a lot of opera pumps out there that look more masculine than the one we are discussing. For example, compare the heel on this Brooks Brothers shoe with the heel on the one referenced by the OP which I have reposted for direct comparison:

https://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=139hblackx.jpg

https://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=menslouboutin.jpg

Cruiser

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
No, if you Google "opera pumps" you will come up with more hits for women's shoes than men's shoes.

Like so many often do here you are making a leap that I didn't make. While I am not particularly fond of opera pumps, my issue here isn't with opera pumps in general but rather with that particular shoe referenced by the OP. It looks like a woman's shoe.

I can do without the bow on any opera pump, but to me the problem with that shoe is the heel. It's feminine looking. It's too short horizontally and shaped like the heel of a woman's shoe.

Even if I was a fan of opera pumps I couldn't bring myself to wear something that feminine looking. There are a lot of opera pumps out there that look more masculine that the one we are discussing. For example, compare the heel on this Brooks Brothers shoe with the heel on the one referenced by the OP which I have reposted for direct comparison:

Cruiser
I agree with Cruiser that the BB shoe is the more handsome shoe.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

Even if I was a fan of opera pumps I couldn't bring myself to wear something that feminine looking. There are a lot of opera pumps out there that look more masculine that the one we are discussing. For example, compare the heel on this Brooks Brothers shoe with the heel on the one referenced by the OP which I have reposted for direct comparison:

Cruiser
OH! You found it on a Google search, so that must be true!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am far west of the Appalachians and deep into the sartorial wasteland of southern California and proudly wear opera pumps with my black tie rig. While I wouldn't call it a "costume," part of the charm of formal wear is that it is impractical; a special ensemble you wear only for important occasions. Opera pumps, the last vestige of court apparel in a gentleman's wardrobe, fit that theme perfectly.

BTW, does the british legal system still ask judges and related officials to wear powdered wigs? Then I guess opera pumps are ok in Europe.

West of the Appalachians and south of Washington, DC I cannot imagine those shoes working, regardless of what they once stood for, does one treat their clothes as a costume or as clothes that ease one into appropriate social situations.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.