Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the once in a lifetime chance to see this inauguration, and I do not know what to wear. The temperature is going to be 20 windchill, so most likely I'll need to bundle up. Wanted to hear your opinions.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have the once in a lifetime chance to see this inauguration, and I do not know what to wear. The temperature is going to be 20 windchill, so most likely I'll need to bundle up. Wanted to hear your opinions.
A McCain/Palin button. Hey... it would be good for a laugh or 2!
Seriously though. Don't worry about style. Dress to avoid hypothermia and/or frostbite! Unless you're an honoree at such an event, you have no need to impress anybody. Just enjoy witnessing history.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Judging from past Inaugurations I've seen, most will be dressed more for a Redskins game. The elite invite-only people will be dressed better. None of that is stopping you from going all-out if you choose. Just be prepared for cold and an extremely long walk out of there when it's over.

BT

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Mukluks!

There's likely to be some muddy areas on the Mall, so mudders, definitely. Lots of layers, including at least one of Goretex. There are boots and gloves incorporating that, as well as parkas. You can always take something off, if the ferver of the moment, plus the body heat from 2 million people, raise the temps a bit. However, there's going to be no way to get back to your digs to put something else on if it's more frigid than predicted. You'll be lucky to have an opportunity to relieve yourself. Scout out the port-a-potty locations, and don't get too far from one. You'll be standing for hours.

Have a glorious time! It's history in the making, and "You Are There."

·
Registered
60 Posts
A stright jacket

Have you seen the projected people to porta potty ratio??

The only time I am going to subject myself to that level of discomfort on so many fronts is when my wife makes me get on an airplane to take her on vacation.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
As was suggested in another thread on this subject, I will be wearing an OCBD, Ivy green cords and probably an old pair of penny loafers (can your get any more American than that?) and watching the inauguration on TV. Seriously, in past years I have attended two inaugurations (a guest at the first and working security for the second). My conclusions are, it's cold, crowded and expensive (the feather merchants will be out...big-time!) and unless you are one of the principles, you are still going to be just a bystander, hoping/struggling to get a brief (and distant) glimpse of history. You just don't get to see that much.

Watching this historic event on TV, (I suspect) I will be warmer, more comfortable and see more of the event, than would be possible, were I to attend it in person! However, to each his/her own. Today is indeed, a day to be savored by all of us!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.