Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
393 Posts
I'm in a career(CPA) which I never would have imagined when I was in school and for which I am tempermentally unsuited, but I wouldn't change a thing. It allows me to work in a small firm or be self employed, my office is less than a mile from my home and I have time for recreation in the summer. It's allowed me to spend time with my family as the kids grew up, just not from January to May.

Like anything else, your career is what you make of it.

· Registered
393 Posts
When single, if we enjoy our work, we're not much bothered by odd hours, time away from home, etc. Once married with children, that all changes. My best friend just retired as an 0-6, following three commands at sea, the last being LHA-5. He was being considered for Admiral, but his 15 year old son was not doing well in school. He decided that time with his son was more important than a star. He spent alot of time away from home over the course of a career. I know that if he could have stayed home, he would... but as he said many times, "ships aren't intended to stay pierside." I passed on a naval career for those very reasons.
My son just enlisted in the Coast Guard. That's an option many don't think of.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.