Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a chance on these loafers when I saw them at a secondhand shop. The quality seems pretty good, but there are no markings except a short number code on the sole. They appear never to have been worn, so it seems unlikely that branding, codes and size marks would have been worn away. The linings are a soft glove leather, with a soft suede in the heel cups and thin soft leather over the insole. The GG detail in the toe brogueing (how the hell do you spell that?) piqued my interest. If someone was trying to produce a fake Gucci, wouldn't they plaster the logo all over the place? It seems like the target market for a knockoff would be disappointed by such subtle branding. (I once overheard someone critiquing a plain - but genuine - Burberry shirt by declaring "if I'm gonna wear Burberry, it's gotta say BURBERRY on it!")

Anyways, what are your thoughts? It's probably nothing, but I just thought I'd ask...

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
First off, those are almost certainly replacement soles.

They’re not knock offs. Who would sell used knockoff shoes?

I have no idea as to the make. They may well be Gaziano & Girling based on the toe medallion.

Not my cup of tea but if you can pull them off, more power to you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, those are almost certainly replacement soles.

I have no idea as to the make. They may well be Gaziano & Girling based on the toe medallion.
Re: soles. Nah, these are new shoes. I own many, many shoes and know a resole/recrafting when I see one. There's no imprinting inside and no creasing on the vamps.

As far as the G&G thing... I don't think it's theirs. They tend to have a really dramatic elongated spade shaped profile, where these have a toe that's more rounded. But... England might be a good place to look. I just did some more searching for the "Phillips Special" combination heel and found an old Styleforum post where someone had similarly marked heels on a pair of Trickers from the 1980s.

I'll keep digging, thanks for your input.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
I don’t know what to make of them. The uppers look fine, even stitching, clean broguing. There is an even nap and the leather has grain, but not very fine or even. Then the pipping is a bit beat beaten up and uneven. The lining finishing is a mess, and the heel job is really sloppy. The soles look like a pedestrian replacement, but then appear to have a closed channel. I can’t imagine a cobbler doing a closed channel replacement and then screwing up the heels so badly.

You’re correct that the uppers look unworn, but I can’t imagine any quality manufacturer doing such a lousy job on the heels and soles. Then the lack of markings on the lining, along with its poor finishing, makes me wonder if they are replacement also. There would be identifying codes if it were from any factory. Why would the uppers look unworn, yet the lining, heels and soles look like replacements?

A total mystery. What I will bet they are not, is a product of any established manufacturer. For all I know they could be from some small cobbler who knocks out his own line of shoes for local consumption. I ran across a shop like that in Positano. Filled with no name shoes from a little local cobbler in town. No name, no codes, just a bunch of inexpensively made glued shoes for the local market, and the occasional tourist. An old guy whose wife ran the store, and a couple of assistants, just knocking them out.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I don't know what to make of them. The uppers look fine, even stitching, clean broguing. There is an even nap and the leather has grain, but not very fine or even. Then the pipping is a bit beat beaten up and uneven. The lining finishing is a mess, and the heel job is really sloppy. The soles look like a pedestrian replacement, but then appear to have a closed channel. I can't imagine a cobbler doing a closed channel replacement and then screwing up the heels so badly.

You're correct that the uppers look unworn, but I can't imagine any quality manufacturer doing such a lousy job on the heels and soles. Then the lack of markings on the lining, along with its poor finishing, makes me wonder if they are replacement also. There would be identifying codes if it were from any factory. Why would the uppers look unworn, yet the lining, heels and soles look like replacements?

A total mystery. What I will bet they are not, is a product of any established manufacturer. For all I know they could be from some small cobbler who knocks out his own line of shoes for local consumption. I ran across a shop like that in Positano. Filled with no name shoes from a little local cobbler in town. No name, no codes, just a bunch of inexpensively made glued shoes for the local market, and the occasional tourist. An old guy whose wife ran the store, and a couple of assistants, just knocking them out.
I visited that shop in Positano. The hat shop where I bought my Stetson Panama hat is just down the street.

Cheers,

BSR

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
I was there before i knew anything about shoes. Picked up a green and a brown pair of Ostrich Venetian loafers for about 40 Euros each. I had no idea Ostrich was an exotic hide, and they turn out to be Blake stitched.

I had no idea of what a bargain they were. Or how UGLY.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.