Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading several contributions singing the praises of Shetland tweed. For the first time in my life, I recently found, and bought, a Brooks Brothers sports coat that had a Shetland Tweed label. I have seen many Harris Tweed labels on many garments. Is there a Shetland tweed brand, or is Shetland simply the source of the wool? How would you compare the virtues of those two kinds of tweed? I am sorry that the really fine tweeds seem to be quietly fading away as we lose the weavers to old age and retirement.When I buy a really fine coat, I seem to retire it to the safety of the closet.

·
Vendor
1,739 Posts
The Shetland Sheep is the source of Shetland Wool. It is much softer than Harris Tweed. Although Harris Tweed is "harder" wearing, it is the rear individual who will wear out Shetland. ( It reminds me of the "cold war " days when the Soviet Union would announce that their new weapon could kill everyone on earth 7 times and the USA would get upset because our weapon could only kill everyone on earth 2 times. Who was left to count after the first kill ?)
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
It reminds me of the "cold war " days when the Soviet Union would announce that their new weapon could kill everyone on earth 7 times and the USA would get upset because our weapon could only kill everyone on earth 2 times.
Very nice, Paul! :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Though I've prefered the firmer hand of Harris for odd jackets, I've fantasized about a winter country suit of Shetland wool, as I don't think I'd care for Harris trousers. Have loved all the old Esky/AA illustrations depicting them. And if I were a significantly younger, and a signficantly richer fellow I might just have one made!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.