Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

While this is my first post, I have been reading this forum for months now, and would like to begin by saying how useful and entertaining I have found it.

Does anyone know if fabric mills and/or fabric merchants use selvedge designs consistently enough to enable the identification the maker of a bolt of cloth by the colour and text of the selvedge? I have had several articles made up from the H&S Perennials book, and have noticed that each piece of fabric had the same selvedge (black background with bright "flouro" blue text and border).

In particular, does anyone have any clue as to who might have produced the piece of cloth pictured below? I took a punt and purchased the pictured cloth; the maker was not specified. I should note that based on my limited experience, I believe the cloth is of good quality; I am asking primarily for reasons of general curiosity, and to help guide future purchases.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I appreciate your question as I've wondered the same thing. I've come to the conclusion that, in the end, it is virtually impossible to identify individual mills where the fabric was made. There are a couple of sellers on eBay, "how6955" (British Fabrics) on eBay UK and "aftral" (British Woolens), a Canadian seller new to eBay it would appear, who sell mill-ends and shorter lengths of wool from these many English mills that sell their products to buyers like H&S, Scabal, and others. There will be some notation on the selvage, often giving the yarn number (as in your example), but no distributor's name (like H&S), probably because when the wool is milled, it's final destination may not be known.

Incidentally, I've bought a number of pieces from Howard of "how6955" with very satisfactory results. I've not been sure about the provenance of the pieces I've purchased, but have had very good fortune with respect to their quality. Prices have tended to run about 1/4 - 1/3 of industry retail prices through H&S (via Beazley's) and others.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I appreciate your question as I've wondered the same thing. I've come to the conclusion that, in the end, it is virtually impossible to identify individual mills where the fabric was made.
I certainly wouldn't claim any special knowledge myself. For what it's worth, I've seen a similar lettering font on a Dormeuil fabric, but whether that's pure coincidence or not... I've no idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.