Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an article on Fleming's suits on Gentleman's Gazette that includes this :

"Although they would be considered heavy by today's standards, at the time it was rather unusual to wear such lightweight suits, especially in England. Fleming's own friends joked that when his suits wore out, he could simply take the buttons back to his tailor and have a new suit stitched onto them. It looks like Fleming got the last laugh, though, as modern-day suits are almost always lightweight."

I don't get this joke. I could see if they were joking that he could have the buttons stitched on the baste suit, but I don't see why having the old buttons stitched on the new suit (or the suit stitched on the buttons) has anything to do with the suit's weight.

· Registered
2,601 Posts
Won't buttons outlast any suit?
Yes.

But it was a joke, not a logical observation.

The durability of the buttons contrasted with the flimsiness of the suit is intended to humorously emphasize the short lifespan of the suit, a visual image of buttons moving through the years and leaving a vast pile of tattered suits behind being (to the British, at least, and to me) funny.

I can imagine a Rodney Dangerfield routine: "I bought one of these new lightweight suits, five hundred bucks it cost me... it fell apart on the third wearing! Not the buttons, I still have those. Five hundred dollars for buttons! I don't get no respect!"

DH

· Registered
3,713 Posts
I can imagine a Rodney Dangerfield routine: "I bought one of these new lightweight suits, five hundred bucks it cost me... it fell apart on the third wearing! Not the buttons, I still have those. Five hundred dollars for buttons! I don't get no respect!"
Speaking of Rodney Dangerfield, he loathed having to select which clothes to wear every day. That's why he adopted a uniform for his live performances: Dark suit, white shirt, red necktie.

He really disliked thinking about clothes. A uniform relieved him of that burden.

· Registered
2,601 Posts
Speaking of Rodney Dangerfield, he loathed having to select which clothes to wear every day. That's why he adopted a uniform for his live performances: Dark suit, white shirt, red necktie.

He really disliked thinking about clothes. A uniform relieved him of that burden.
I did this a few years in college.

I actually got the idea from David Cronenberg's "The Fly", in which the Jeff Goldblum character dresses identically each day (grey suit, black necktie, and white shirt IIRC), claiming that HE got the idea from Einstein (which isn't true - Einstein even had a favorite suit).

DH

· Registered
885 Posts
Interesting.

Just an observation on the buttons always outlasting a suit theory though. The suit very often outlasts the top button (of a two button suit.) The button becomes loose from wear and falls off! Often never to be seen again.

· Registered
2,601 Posts
Don't leave us hanging-What was your uniform?
Chinos, and blue OCBD. If it's cool, add herringbone sport coat. If it's cold, add a burgundy/wine sweater vest under that and swap the chinos for cords. If there's a sport coat, add a tie. Shoes were generally loafers.

I think I had 2 pairs of chinos, a pair of cords, maybe 5 OCBDs (I did laundry on weekends), and a sport coat. A few ties (couple rep, couple foulard, maybe a solid knit). Pretty minimalist.

(+/-... I'm trying to remember 30 years ago)

DH

· Registered
3,713 Posts
Chinos, and blue OCBD. If it's cool, add herringbone sport coat. If it's cold, add a burgundy/wine sweater vest under that and swap the chinos for cords. If there's a sport coat, add a tie. Shoes were generally loafers.

I think I had 2 pairs of chinos, a pair of cords, maybe 5 OCBDs (I did laundry on weekends), and a sport coat. A few ties (couple rep, couple foulard, maybe a solid knit). Pretty minimalist.

DH
Thank you. That sounds like it would be a mighty fine post-college uniform, too.

· Read Only
2,318 Posts

DH
I'm back to school and my "uniform" follows this for the most part. Add in some other colours of OCBDs, some jeans, and replace SCs with a shawl cardigan.

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,122 Posts

My life has been split between two sets of uniforms.that have dominated my wardrobe during specific periods of my life. The USAF uniforms were obvious and then during the civilian years of my adult life, we had the khakis/chinos paired with white, pale blue and university stripped OCBDs and a navy blazer for dressy casual and chinos paired with knit, collared polo shirts for more casual events. Choices having to be made have been and still are kept to a minimum! ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.