Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm 14 and I love suits. It's weird, I feel weird. I wish I could wear a suit every time.

When I was 11 I started wearing my father's suits, shirts and tieswhen I was alone at home (I still do it). I never had a real suit. I used to wear a cheap suit when I was a child, but I hated it, and it didn't fit me so well. Years later I realized that suits are awesome and my father's wardrobe was like heaven. He only had two suits and a few shirts, some old school ties and old shoes. I felt like a real man for the first time (I've been through depression and anxiety, and it helped me a lot) and since them I can't stop doing it. Every time I'm alone, I wear them. He doesn't even notice. A few days ago while my dad was at work, I put on his clothes and went out. My friends didn't even pay attention to what I was wearing and my neighbour said that I was looking nice.

I'm thinking of use my money to buy suits, nice shirts, shoes and an overcoat. I will look like an old man, but I really want it. And it's better to be overdressed than underdressed

I think I'm the only guy at my age that likes to wear a suit. Please someone tell me I'm not alone.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
From the age of 4, onward, I wore a suit to church every Sunday, and certainly didn't mind it. But I didn't develop any real interest in clothing until I was around 12. And I think most adolescents at one level desire adulthood.

Nothing wrong with wearing a suit. And as you found out from your friends and neighbors, they're really far more interested in their appearance than yours.

Edit: This is assuming you're a male. If you're a female, I'm not sure this is the best forum to address cross dressing. Whole 'nother thing, you know!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well, I can't think of a better cure for depression and anxiety than wearing nice suits. Go ahead, get the best clothing your budget allows. Someone is going to be the best dressed in the room and there's no reason it shouldn't be you, regardless of age...

Hans

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I can't think of a better cure for depression and anxiety than wearing nice suits. Go ahead, get the best clothing your budget allows. Someone is going to be the best dressed in the room and there's no reason it shouldn't be you, regardless of age...

thank you :)

Hans
Assuming the OP is really a 14 year old boy, in this day and age I'll admit I'm not the least bit comfortable engaging in a conversation with him.
well, of course I don't hang out with my friends or anyone else wearing suits (I don't even have my own suit), I just did it once. I have "normal" clothes and I enjoy them, and I also enjoy wearing suits

From the age of 4, onward, I wore a suit to church every Sunday, and certainly didn't mind it. But I didn't develop any real interest in clothing until I was around 12. And I think most adolescents at one level desire adulthood.

Nothing wrong with wearing a suit. And as you found out from your friends and neighbors, they're really far more interested in their appearance than yours.

Edit: This is assuming you're a male. If you're a female, I'm not sure this is the best forum to address cross dressing. Whole 'nother thing, you know!
Well, I'm a boy

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Don't waste your time buying. Learn how to make them. It gives tremendous freedom in what you git to wear. Besides, it is an adventure. So many intriguing details with a creative mind. Perhaps Tailor And Cutter still has classes. Tailoring (the construction part), Fitting and the Cutting part. The Cutter deals with all kinds of body shapes and styles. All three classes are needed. And, apprenticeship under a real tailor so you learn standards and much more. The time to learn is before you become an adult since you live under your parents roof and they pay many other bills.

Alterations tailoring is not the same. But some real tailors do alterations. You want to learn from a real tailor.

·
Read Only
2,318 Posts
Wearing suits is fun, yes.

The issue is finding an appropriate occasion to wear them.

Where would you wear your suit?

I remember an old friend of mine wore a suit with a fedora randomly in 11th grade. My thoughts weren't, "Wow, he's dressed very well", but "Why is my buddy wearing a suit in the middle of class, seems like he's trying too hard to gain attention."

IMO, Dressing well isn't just about dressing "up", but dressing well in the context around you.

Forsberg, a user who used to post here, regularly preached the context part of dressing well.

I never understood it until doing some thorough introspection, and doing some overdressing of my own.

It is up to you whether context is important or not. I say make some mistakes in dressing and have fun with it, that's how I learned.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wearing suits is fun, yes.

The issue is finding an appropriate occasion to wear them.

Where would you wear your suit?

I remember an old friend of mine wore a suit with a fedora randomly in 11th grade. My thoughts weren't, "Wow, he's dressed very well", but "Why is my buddy wearing a suit in the middle of class, seems like he's trying too hard to gain attention."

IMO, Dressing well isn't just about dressing "up", but dressing well in the context around you.

Forsberg, a user who used to post here, regularly preached the context part of dressing well.

I never understood it until doing some thorough introspection.

It is up to you whether context is important or not. I say make some mistakes in dressing and have fun with it, that's how I learned.
I would never wear a suit to go to school or to the supermarket, I wish I could have more occasions to wear them, but yet I don't even have my own suit

·
Read Only
2,318 Posts
I would never wear a suit to go to school or to the supermarket, I wish I could have more occasions to wear them, but yet I don't even have my own suit
It depends on your culture and the circumstances, but outside of job interviews, weddings, and formal parties, I haven't found many circumstances to wear one personally.

Keep in mind you're probably also only beginning to grow, so if you do buy a suit now, you will probably outgrow it very quickly as well.

You could give thrifting a shot though if you're really interested.

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,028 Posts
That's a good idea, as is learning something about tailoring. You could thrift a suit and then fit it to yourself, learning much and spending little. Go for it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
You should talk to your parents about this since they know the situation and context better. (What do I know about living in Brazil?)

I won't stop you with reasons such as "You will stand out like a sore thumb," "You will get bullied," or "You will be excluded." If I were your parent, I'd make sure you're ready for such consequences.

You and I share the same passion about wearing a suit. The difference is, I didn't discover the joy of wearing a suit until I was 30.

I've got plenty of "Why didn't I try this sooner?!" moments. So, carpe diem (seize the moment), and have this conversation with your parents.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't waste your time buying. Learn how to make them. It gives tremendous freedom in what you git to wear. Besides, it is an adventure. So many intriguing details with a creative mind. Perhaps Tailor And Cutter still has classes. Tailoring (the construction part), Fitting and the Cutting part. The Cutter deals with all kinds of body shapes and styles. All three classes are needed. And, apprenticeship under a real tailor so you learn standards and much more. The time to learn is before you become an adult since you live under your parents roof and they pay many other bills.

Alterations tailoring is not the same. But some real tailors do alterations. You want to learn from a real tailor.
I don't know any tailor in my town, but I'll try to find a good one

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You should talk to your parents about this since they know the situation and context better. (What do I know about living in Brazil?)

I won't stop you with reasons such as "You will stand out like a sore thumb," "You will get bullied," or "You will be excluded." If I were your parent, I'd make sure you're ready for such consequences.

You and I share the same passion about wearing a suit. The difference is, I didn't discover the joy of wearing a suit until I was 30.

I've got plenty of "Why didn't I try this sooner?!" moments. So, carpe diem (seize the moment), and have this conversation with your parents.
Well, i don't know how to explain it to them (hey dad, I've been wearing your clothes when you're out), and there's no reason to do it, i don't wanna wear a suit wherever I go, I just feel better in them, and I'd love to have my own suit and wear them at the right occasions

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.