Men's Clothing Forums banner

I Think We Need A Dedicated Pizza Thread

61K views 995 replies 25 participants last post by  Oldsarge 
#1 ·
Food Tableware Pizza Plate Ingredient

See less See more
#3 ·
Growing up, my Italian grandmother used pizzas as a way to use up leftovers so she sort of made refrigerator pizza the way some people make refrigerator soup. The idea that somehow a pizza needed a recipe would have confused her terribly. So except for anchovy fillets and pineapple, I'll happily eat most any kind that comes within reach.

#5 ·
I cheat by using pre-made pizza shells and coincidentally, my wife just left this morning to see the kids/grandkids for Christmas and left me with some. I make a mean pesto pizza with toppings I have on hand. Sometimes roasted red peppers, sometimes sausage, goat cheese, etc. I'll throw one together today or tomorrow and post a photo.

Oh boy, a pizza thread. This is where I shine! :p

#6 ·
I don't have a particular favorite style. Nona made hers out of refrigerator rolls, fergawdsake. My current pizzeria of choice happens to make a thin crust but the deciding factor is that they make it from sourdough. Merciful heavens! I can't remember when I've had one so good.

However, on the very rare occasion when I've been in Chicago, believe me I will happily tuck into a deep dish and when I scratch make my own, the crust is more like bread than a cracker. This current obsession with hyper thin 'Neapolitan' style crusts I believe to be a bit precious. Still, if it's well done with quality toppings, any pizza is far better than no pizza at all.

#13 ·
I'm going to do up a pizza today for dinner. Photos will follow. I'm counting the minutes.🍕

By the way, has anyone ever had spicy potato on a pizza? A local chain does that here, and I never knew if it was just their thing or if its a well known topping. Either way, I recommend it!

#14 ·
When I was just out of college and trying to live on my own, my go to Friday night meal was Stouffer's French Bread pizza. I looked forward to it all week long.

And after many slices of pizza later I can say without a doubt "That I've never had a bad slice of pizza but some were better than others."

#15 ·
There was one I had in Frankfurt-am-Main . . . It was advertised as "Originalische Italianische Pizza" and for a homesick GI it sounded just the ticket. Uh, no. The pepperoni was pepperoncini, the cheese was Ermenthaler and the sauce was--odd. It wasn't exactly bad but it was definitely the strangest pizza I ever ate. That was 1970. Things have improved a lot in the ensuing half century.

#30 ·
If I eat pizza out at a *good* pizza place (meaning staffed with Italians who've bothered to ship a pizza oven over from Naples), I favor the classic Margarita, or some variation on that. Crust on the thinner side.

(In Atlanta, that means Varuni in Morningside or Antico Napoletana off 14th, near Georgia Tech).)

Mostly I make pizza at home, though. My daughter has ballet on Fridays, and I pick her up at 5:30 and we'll stop by the store to get "the stuff" (Whole Foods, usually) and bake a pizza when we get home.

It's Friday evening, so we just get the pre-made pizza dough, use marinara sauce (not "pizza sauce" which is too sweet, usually), fresh whole-leaves of basil from the garden, Genoa salami, fresh mozzarella (we usually get ours from Star Provisions, a local deli), sliced olives, mushrooms, and sometimes artichokes. Bake at 500ish for 8-10 minutes; it's a thin crust, and we bake it on a kind of perforated non-stick pizza pan which I *love* (much better than a pizza stone).

In the past, I have built a pizza oven (out of terra-cotta blocks), but as you can imagine, that's enormous overkill for home pizza making; it has been disassembled, as it did not spark joy. I'll leave Serious Pizza to the experts with vowel-ended names.

DH

ps. At some point I plan to try a Dutch Oven pizza while camping. The fam has a big (10 day) expedition coming up in April; I may try it then!

#31 ·
The pizza place of my dreams here in Portland-ish is the Communion Bakehouse. They bake a lot of wonderful different things (including a world class chocolate chunk cookie!) but their pizza? Because this is Portland, the ingredients are all local and fresh. But the crust? Sourdough! I can't remember when I've had one as good, if I ever did. Maybe I'll go there tomorrow and have their Baba Ganash, with eggplant. The stuff of dreams.

And Rolf thinks we needed this thread, too.

Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Dish