Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the tailor yesterday for my second fitting on a suit being made, and it was basically finished, pending a few details. The cut and shape of the suit are perfect- exactly what i was going for. BUT. the material I picked out just felt awful to me. When I was picking fabrics, it seemed fine, just the right subtle shade of navy, not "shiny" or anything. but putting on the coat, it just feels wrong, cheap even. I suppose I can just not pay the rest of the balance I owe, but that doesnt seem right: I commissioned the suit and picked the material (though the tailor did suggest the fabric among a few), and besides, I want to use him again for more suits. Even if i just take the hit cashwise, i would still need another navy blue suit, would it be insulting to have him make me a different one?

Argh, after going over all the details of fit and shape with him, and him getting it how I wanted, and now I fear it will all have been for nought. I guess I will have to see if it looks better than it seems now once i wear it a few times, but im not getting my hopes up.

Any suggestions, for this and for future reference? perhaps i will get my material elsewhere and then bring it to tailors from now on.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Not paying the bill is just about the worst option.

But I see nothing wrong with commissioning a 2nd suit in a different fabric. That's just more business for him, most people would not be insulted by that.

If you selected the fabric, you don't have much recourse, especially this late in the game.

And I'm sure it's not that bad.

·
Registered
784 Posts
That's happened to me as well. First, pay the bill and take the suit.

What's happened in my case is that I may have had doubts at the onset, but I grew to enjoy the suit none the less. Be patient with yourself.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I would talk to your tailor...if you agree to make another suit, maybe he will give you a discount on this one...he certainly shouldn't lose money since it is your fault, but he may be ok with "splitting the profit" especially if you agree to pick out another one...

Going forward - there are several "rules" you should live by when commissioning a suit ...make sure you like the colors, pattern and feel of the fabric...if ANY of those are questionable - PICK AGAIN (there are THOUSANDS of fabrics to choose from)!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would talk to your tailor...if you agree to make another suit, maybe he will give you a discount on this one...he certainly shouldn't lose money since it is your fault, but he may be ok with "splitting the profit" especially if you agree to pick out another one...
This is what I was going to say, exactly.

As for not paying what you owe: not only is it unethical, but it is also impractical, since he will sue you, provide the receipt and the work done, and win. So all you would be doing is wasting everyone's time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Buyer's remorse happens frequently. Your judgment may not be at its best now. Ordering a custom suit is a learning process. Give yourself time. Finish the suit, wear it and listen to what others say. I would not commission another one before you learn everything about it. You say the fit is excellent, but with time your opinion may change and perhaps you would like to adjust things for your next order.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Out of curiosity - what kind of fabric is it? Also, what did you pay for the suit?
I would also very much like to know the answers to those questions. And agree with everyone else that you are both legally and ethically obligated to pay. I am very sorry you are so disappointed, but even if the suit is not what you thought it would look like, none are ever exactly what you would think, sometimes for the worse, but also sometimes for the better. I'd wear the suit a bit, and you might find that you'll like it a great deal better than you expect.

I also agree with the advice of telling your tailor that you think you might have made a mistake in selecting the fabric you did, but are very pleased with his work, and would like to use him again after you feel you have become a little more knowledgeable about fabric selection

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Biggest problem with bespoke: nearly everything is a first draft. Live with it, and expense it to R&D.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Pay the man and then:

Wear it - it may even grow on you
Give it to a second hand shop or
burn it.

Either way not paying will merely land you in court as well as proving that you are a bounder. You might persuade him to offer you a little discount of another one ordered immediately but he will lose faith in you (despite it being business) if he thinks that you change your mind with the wind.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
-Just a quick note about all the replies - i wasnt really even considering not paying the rest of the balance, just that i meant that perhaps I could haggle/pressure him to give me a fairly large discount (though im not a very good bargainer) since he semi-convinced me the fabric would be good, though obviously the final decision is mine. This isnt the first custom suit i have had made, nor the first from him, and I was very pleased with the two I have from him, though like I said I now have more definitive idea of the exact details i want and he pulled it off well, I think.

-I picked the fabric from a swatch, is that where I went wrong? I usually will bring a few other pants with me to compare colors, but as I mentioned, its the feel of the thing that is just awful. I am thinking that in the future I will purchase fabric myself (Tip Top and Beckensteins are two places that have been mentioned) so I can feel more of it, get the fabric salesperson's opinions.

Maybe I will use this opportunity to get a MTM job at Ralph Lauren, I have been thinking about trying that out, so I dont have to have this tailor do the EXACT SAME THING again, though I will go back to him in the future with (hopefully) nice fabrics.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
-Just a quick note about all the replies - i wasnt really even considering not paying the rest of the balance, just that i meant that perhaps I could haggle/pressure him to give me a fairly large discount (though im not a very good bargainer) since he semi-convinced me the fabric would be good, though obviously the final decision is mine. This isnt the first custom suit i have had made, nor the first from him, and I was very pleased with the two I have from him, though like I said I now have more definitive idea of the exact details i want and he pulled it off well, I think.

-I picked the fabric from a swatch, is that where I went wrong? I usually will bring a few other pants with me to compare colors, but as I mentioned, its the feel of the thing that is just awful. I am thinking that in the future I will purchase fabric myself (Tip Top and Beckensteins are two places that have been mentioned) so I can feel more of it, get the fabric salesperson's opinions.

Maybe I will use this opportunity to get a MTM job at Ralph Lauren, I have been thinking about trying that out, so I dont have to have this tailor do the EXACT SAME THING again, though I will go back to him in the future with (hopefully) nice fabrics.
Now you're musing aloud about leaning on him for a "fairly large" discount because you erred in your choice? From what I read, he suggested, you selected.

I don't understand "so I don't have to have this tailor do the EXACT SAME THING again"...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.