Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I was at a local bookstore looking over the men's style section and it hit me, I really do miss Classic Style magazine. Most of what I see now are boytoys modeling clothes that most men wouldn't be caught dead wearing.

Danny

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
While I am in absolute agreement with your sentiments regarding Classic Style, I would also offer the observation that it takes a more powerful engine to make a brick fly or...an existing, solid advertising base to launch a new men's style magazine! The concept behind the magazine was solid...the business support behind it, was apparently not. ;)

· Honors Member and King Fop
6,032 Posts
The concept behind the magazine was solid...the business support behind it, was apparently not. ;)
Not sure I'd agree that the "concept...was solid." It was always sort of schizo between being a retro costume enthusiast's magazine and a magazine for men who wished to dress in timeless elegance and style. I think the first issue (the "hat" issue) was a grievous mistake. It looked almost totally like a magazine for costumers, and that may have tarnished its image somewhat, even though they did make better strides in achieving more editorial balance in subsequent issues. In any event, they weren't able to attract a lot of the advertisers they would have needed to be viable--outfits like Brooks, Hickey-Freeman, HSM, A-E, etc.

These are very hard times for the print medium. Things are very lean and rough even for well-established publications--look at the number of newspapers and magazines that are folding up their paper editions and going exclusively to a Net presence.

Still, I did think Classic Style was the best men's clothing magazine out there during its brief existence, and I too miss it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.