Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may sound funny, but one of the most amazing things I have learned off the internet is how to tie my shoe laces. OK I was a slow starter, back in the 50's before the advent of velcro, I probably managed the basic double loop knot at the age of 8 or so. For the next 46 years, it was an automatic way to tie my shoes. Trouble was I had to double knot them because the single knots always worked their way loose and you know what you have to do if your laces come undone and touch a washroom floor! As life progressed that hefty yet secure double knot became a fashion problem. The cuff of my pants would often get stuck behind the knot and ruin the drape. I figured there had to be a better way, so one idle day I did a google search and came up with:
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm

Believe it or 'knot' the whole website is devoted to the art of the shoelace and contains dozens of variations of knots and lacing methods.It took a few tries to master the 'secure knot' but the result is a knot you can tie in less than 5 seconds (with practice) that simply does not come undone. And on top of that, the lace and knot lie completely flat allowing the cuff to drape over the shoe. I don't which impresses me more, the fact that I have the perfect shoelace knot, or that I managed to change a 48 year old ingrained habit. Amazing.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I learned this technique when I was about 30..... my laces, even the slipperiest nylon sneaker laces, almost never get undone now.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Almost 10 years ago, an older shoe shine gentleman in the lobby of the Marriott in Philadelphia taught me that technique. I've used it ever since.
Now that I've seen it, I'm quite eager to try it.

My experience at the Marriott in Philadelphia leaves more to be desired. Had a fantastic room in the old Reading Terminal building, but it was a hike and no one had the least interest in helping me with my bags.

·
Site Creator
13,165 Posts
You can buy fellow AAAC Member Ian's book!!

Go to the Ask Andy Selected Merchants for Menswear, Shoes, and Grooming
linked in the upper left corner and look for an Amazon.com banner that has this under it:
This is Ian Fieggen's new book
all about Laces.
I have a copy and it's fantastic.
It's a great book with real laces
on the cover and some inside
for you to practice with.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for sharing. I've need this for some sneaky shoelaces for quite some time.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
When I was about six, I asked my mother to tie my shoes and she told me to do it myself (I think she was having a bad day - she was usually pretty patient). The only knot I knew was the overhand knot, so I sat there making two loops and fiddling with variations of the overhand knot and came up with my own knot. Years later, I learned the "right" way and started tying my shoes like everyone else. Now I'm amazed to discover my old knot reborn as "Ian's Secure Shoelace Knot"!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've posted about this before.

I used the version of the standard shoe lace knot I learned for about 20 years. During that time I had significant trouble keeping the laces tied, ultimately going to the double knot. One day a co-worker noticed me retying my shoes pointing out I was performing the first step of the knot backwards - in essence left over right and under instead of the opposite. He suggested I reverse the first step and then continue as normal. It was very hard to unlearn the way I had been doing it but the results were amazing. I virtually never need to retie anymore and no more double knots.

I suspect if you are retying or using a double knot you are not doing the standard knot correctly. Reverse the first step and continue as normal. The results are nothing short of amazing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.