Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
13,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've discussed logos before, but I, surprisingly, couldn't find an existing thread on logos on the Trad side of the house.

Overall, I aggressively avoid them, but there are a few that I don't mind and a few that I even really like.

The three I really like have some combination of a long-and-interesting history, iconic status, aesthetic appeal and/or are truly/holistically tied to an item of clothing/brand.

The first is Lacoste's crocodile, the nickname of tennis great Rene Lacoste. This logo originally appeared on his clothing line in the 1920s. Sure it's branding, but IMHO, it's such an iconic label that it has transcended its "logo-ness" and is part of the zeitgeist and history of the polo shirt.

Reptile Sleeve Alligator Font Carnivore
Art Scaled reptile Font Caterpillar Natural foods

The second is Levi's back-patch label of two horses trying to pull apart a pair of Levis. This logo was created to show, back in 1886, the quality and strength of this working-man pants. (Shame the patches aren't leather any more, but still a really cool label).

Vertebrate Rectangle Mammal Font Working animal
Brown Textile Font Denim Bag

The third is the beautifully designed "man sitting on a fence" illustration by J.C. Leyendecker (from 1921) that was adapted by Paul Stuart. Beyond being an iconic illustration capturing the start of classic American attire, it's not overused by Paul Stuart, but just pops up here and there on its clothes.

The original and the Paul Stuart adaptation:
Footwear Shoe Leg Sleeve Hat
Arm Beard Human body Sleeve Hat

As noted, I actively avoid logos - literally, pass up clothes because of them (many more Ralph Lauren items would be in my closet now if not for that polo horse), but the above few - and a few others - somehow are okay in my inconsistent mind.

What (if any) are some of your favorites and why?

*Nod to Ring Lardner
--

· Registered
24 Posts
I second the Lacoste, though really only on their polo shirts.

To stirr up some controversay I'll add the borderline obnoxious RL polo player. Having developed a sort of love-hate relationship with RL, I wouldn't wear it on anything else exept on polo shirts, but there it somehow seems "right" to me.

· Registered
4,162 Posts
I also like the Lacoste logo for the same reasons FF mentioned. When I visited Newport, R.I. a few years ago, I took a photo of one of Rene Lacoste's 1920s tennis blazers that was on display at the International Tennis Museum:

I also don't mind the Brooks Brothers logo for the most part. The golden fleece symbol is long-steeped in tradition.

Although this much logo placement is over the top, to me:

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Lacoste' alligator, BB's Golden Fleece, J Crew's little guy standing there holding on to a surfboard, and whoever it was that embroidered those chocolate hued Moose on the chest of their shirts all seem pretty innocuous and are acceptable to my eye. :icon_scratch:

· Registered
13,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lacoste' alligator, BB's Golden Fleece, J Crew's little guy standing there holding on to a surfboard, and whoever it was that embroidered those chocolate hued Moose on the chest of their shirts all seem pretty innocuous and are acceptable to my eye. :icon_scratch:
I liked that little J.Crew guy, too - but haven't seen him in years. I thought it was a rowing oar not a surfboard, but again, I haven't seen him in years and could easily be wrong about the oar.

37,088 Posts
I liked that little J.Crew guy, too - but haven't seen him in years. I thought it was a rowing oar not a surfboard, but again, I haven't seen him in years and could easily be wrong about the oar.
You may be right about the oar(vs the surfboard). I never really looked closely enough to be sure and then I was never one to be overly bothered by small, unobtrusive Logos. can't honestly say I ever shopped for them, but am absolutely certain that I have never not purchased a shirt because a small tasteful loga was on the shirts breast! LOL. ;)

· Premium Member
7,063 Posts
You may be right about the oar(vs the surfboard). I never really looked closely enough to be sure and then I was never one to be overly bothered by small, unobtrusive Logos. can't honestly say I ever shopped for them, but am absolutely certain that I have never not purchased a shirt because a small tasteful loga was on the shirts breast! LOL. ;)
Johnnie-O uses the man holding an upright surfboard as their logo:

I find it difficult to add the Lacoste alligator to a list and leave out the Ralph Lauren polo logo. Sure, Lacoste had a 34 year head start on Ralph Lauren. But, Ralph never licensed his logo to another company (ahem... Izod). Ralph has stayed the course for half a century. That earns his spot in my list of acceptable logos. I do have some tech polos made by Nike with a tonal embroidered swoosh. They are extremely comfortable and somewhat minimalist in comparison to some of the uber-branded merchandise out there.

· Registered
13,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did a quick search and couldn't find any text describing J.Crew's logo's history or origin, but a bunch of "vintage" J.Crew items are listed as having "J.Crew Oarsman logo."

Also, couldn't find a close up, but this seems, IMHO, to show a man holding an oar:

Cap Wood Headgear Beige Hat

But I am more than willing to be corrected as my vague memory and the above is all I have to go on.

37,088 Posts
^^drlivingston, my friend,
I actually thought of including the Ralph Lauren logos in my "acceptable" list, but the more recent advent and numerical growth of those gawd awful lager iterations on their Ralph's garments gave me pause. :icon_scratch: LOL.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.