Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I need to purchase a new suit for upcoming med school interviews. My understanding is to stick with black/gray/charcoal color and to stay traditional on style.

I have a couple of challenges:

1. I am on a budget of $500ish (or less if possible).
2. I am a hard to fit body type. I am 6'0" 260 lbs. I typically would wear a 54 jacket and 36-38 pants depending on manufacturer. I am a 20-34/35 shirt and commonly have issues with the arms in shirts being too small in circumference, so I often have gussets sewn into the sleeves.

I am looking for the best bang for my buck and would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer as far as manufacturer, store, pricing, sizing or style is concerned. I haven't purchased a new suit in about 5 years, so I feel a bit out of the loop.

Thanks in advance.
john

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I would suggest not getting a black suit -- gray or navy would work well. You're likely to need separates, given the larger-than-usual difference between your chest and waist -- that isn't a typo, is it?

Do you also need a shirt and shoes?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I would suggest not getting a black suit -- gray or navy would work well. You're likely to need separates, given the larger-than-usual difference between your chest and waist -- that isn't a typo, is it?

Do you also need a shirt and shoes?
Is it possible the OP meant to type 44, for the chest? That would be typical of a standard 6" drop with a 38 waist.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, it isn't a typo I am a 54 and that is the problem with sizing. Yes, I will also need shirt shoes as well. Typically I have a shirt progressively tapered down towards the waist to have the excess fabric removed. I do not have an extensive wardrobe as a result.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
You certainly need separates. There should be a Big and Tall men's shop in a city your size where they may have separates. In your price range, Jos Bank has separates with jackets up to 60 regular and 56 portly and separate pants to match The problem with them is that the store personnel for the most part don't know very much and they will not have all sizes in stock . You may have to have a size shipped to the store, try it on and exchange it for another until you find what works. Moreover their prices change every few days, sometimes up, sometimes down. 66% off (or better) is a fair price.

ADD

Black suits are for undertakers, not physicians.

·
Registered
27,626 Posts
Excepting MTM, which you are not going to find for $500, you will need to buy differently sized pants and jacket. These folks have OK quality in your price range -

https://menssuitsjacketsseparatessportscoatsslacks.com/

Take them to a good alterations tailor and you may end up not looking too bad! :thumbs-up:

PS: These jackets are very full cut. You may be able to size down, i.e., 54 to 52. What I've done in the past if I'm unsure of a size is to order one of each size and return the one with the poorest fit. You have to eat shipping, but I view that as better than trying to cobble a jacket beyond the point where it should be altered.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Shirts and shoes may be an issue.

If you're going to be spending more than about $60 on a shirt, you might want to go for a MTM option. You could also jump at ModernTailor's "$20 trial shirt" promotion, which is meant as a shirt to try out ordering custom shirts. It's only available in a rather cheap-looking blue oxford (and black, but don't buy a black shirt). If you have a lot of trouble fitting into off-the-rack shirts, this might work. You can only get the cheap price for one order, though.

It's tough to find good shoes that will fit into your budget. You should go for a black captoe or wingtip laceup with a rounded toe. The Allen Edmonds Shoebank is well-documented on this forum, and is most likely your best bet -- if your budget is big enough. You could look at Andrew Lock or Meermin, as well, though the Shoebank may still beat them on price. If those are all outside of your budget, look for Cole Haans or Johnston & Murphys at outlet stores or DSW-type-places -- tread carefully with these brands, because they're overpriced at full retail and not reliably well-styled.

LINKS:
https://moderntailor.com/
meermin.es
https://andrewlockshoes.com/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the information. I will look into your collective suggested sites. I should have clarified my budget better. I am budgeting $500 for the suit. I probably can budget an additional $150-200 for shirt, shoes and tie.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hello all,

I need to purchase a new suit for upcoming med school interviews. My understanding is to stick with black/gray/charcoal color and to stay traditional on style.

I have a couple of challenges:

1. I am on a budget of $500ish (or less if possible).
2. I am a hard to fit body type. I am 6'0" 260 lbs. I typically would wear a 54 jacket and 36-38 pants depending on manufacturer. I am a 20-34/35 shirt and commonly have issues with the arms in shirts being too small in circumference, so I often have gussets sewn into the sleeves.

I am looking for the best bang for my buck and would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer as far as manufacturer, store, pricing, sizing or style is concerned. I haven't purchased a new suit in about 5 years, so I feel a bit out of the loop.

Thanks in advance.
john
If this will be you first real suit then head to Jos. A. Banks. Most of their suits come in separates and they are not the worst suits you can buy no matter what some people here think. You might be able to pick up three of their suits within your budget depending on the deal of the week and you will only be wearing them for interviews. It will help you figure out what styles you like before you head to MTM or bespoke suits. I would give you a different answer if you were going to be wearing a suit every day.

You are better off spending more money on MTM shirts than the suits right now. I need a 18 1/2 neck in a 17 shirt body and I give up on OTR. I'm going to move to bespoke shirts that fit correctly.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
If I had $650-700 to spend on an interview rig, I probably wouldn't budget it like that. I would try to get good shoes and an acceptable suit/shirt/tie, instead of a good suit and mediocre shoes.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Just wear scrubs....

Ok, seriously - the separates route is a good way to go. Not high end but that isn't what you are looking for. As an example - I recently bought a cheap tuxedo with separates. Actually fit reasonably well and a lot cheaper than my suits that I have been getting Made to Measure. So I totally recommend it for a good cheap alternative to bespoke which is what you really need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.