Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
4,374 Posts
Not to be a Debbie-Downer, but all humor is inherently reliant on politics.

The joke is on the folks who don't know this!

=P
Not hardly. From George Burns and Gracie Allen to Jackie Gleason and Audrey Meadows; from Abbot to Costello and Laurel to Hardy and around again to the ageless Stooges, countless wonderful comedians thrived on talent before our highly politicized era relegated humor to Youtube.

· Registered
27 Posts
Not hardly. From George Burns and Gracie Allen to Jackie Gleason and Audrey Meadows; from Abbot to Costello and Laurel to Hardy and around again to the ageless Stooges, countless wonderful comedians thrived on talent before our highly politicized era relegated humor to Youtube.
I'm not convinced that those aren't also inherently political.

I mean, "straight to the moon" is a pretty political statement.

Meeting a mummy is pretty political (you don't meet any poor mummies, after all), to say nothing of how much of this humor derives from literal economic depression...

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,122 Posts
^^LOL...(posted in reply to Bill Grey post #5)
Humor may or may not be political, but it frequently also has a geographical context that can't be missed. Your comments in the post above remind me of an arguably humorous observation I heard on one of several my several assignments to USAF Bases in the great State of Texas...that being:

"When in Texas, how does one tell the 'real Texans' from all those 'wannabe' cowboys from out of State?
The answer: Those wannabe cowboys have the Bulls..t on the outside of their boots!"

To my mind that's at best geopolitical and it is arguably funny...at least to a wannabe cowboy. ;)

· Registered
2,288 Posts
I most certainly did. It's just that you couldn't understand it since you see everything in the universe through the lens of politics, which is a true impoverishment.
The member to whom you refer increasingly seems to be posting in search of stirring up a reaction, rather than adding anything of value. Best to avoid engaging, IMO.

· Registered
4,374 Posts
So...can you explain it?

Or are your riches not the kind what mollify poverty?
I cited several examples of wonderful comedians whose humor was generally entirely apolitical, but because you see everything as political they logically cannot qualify. How sad for you that "to the moon, Alice" is understood as political humor. No doubt Curly's "nyuk nyuk" was a secret hat tip to the Soviets.

· Registered
27 Posts
I cited several examples of wonderful comedians whose humor was generally entirely apolitical, but because you see everything as political they logically cannot qualify. How sad for you that "to the moon, Alice" is understood as political humor. No doubt Curly's "nyuk nyuk" was a secret hat tip to the Soviets.
But you didn't illustrate how their work is apolitical. You just listed some names and said I was sad for acknowledging the history of their work; don't you know a deeper understanding of art leads to deeper appreciation?

Three depression-era guys trying to do manual labor and failing because one of them is inept, and that driving them to violence, nyuk, nyuk, is a profoundly political premise, and the fact you ignore that means you enjoy that humor less than I, not more.

Sir, please allow me to share with you my vast wealth.

· Suspended
10,801 Posts
But you didn't illustrate how their work is apolitical. You just listed some names and said I was sad for acknowledging the history of their work; don't you know a deeper understanding of art leads to deeper appreciation?

Three depression-era guys trying to do manual labor and failing because one of them is inept, and that driving them to violence, nyuk, nyuk, is a profoundly political premise, and the fact you ignore that means you enjoy that humor less than I, not more.

Sir, please allow me to share with you my vast wealth.
You would tell a man, whom you have never met, that you are capable of deriving more pleasure from comedy than he can?

Now that's hilarious.

Keep 'em coming Billy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.