Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the episodes currently running on PBS WLIW-21 in the NY area?

As MI-6 agent Jools Siviter, Laurie is a sartorial wonder to behold.
Pinstripes suits w peaked lapels, covert coats, even black tie when called away from a West End production in an emergency. Definitly an upper class type in HMSS, and very impatient and somewhat condecending to the working/middle class types at MI-5.

A Whites member I would have to assume.

I wonder who on the Row he gives his business?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Has anyone seen the episodes currently running on PBS WLIW-21 in the NY area?

Pinstripes suits w peaked lapels, covert coats, even black tie when called away from a West End production in an emergency. Definitly an upper class type in HMSS, and very impatient and somewhat condecending to the working/middle class types at MI-5.

Isn't that character from Spooks?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
MI-5? Shouldn't it be MI5? Spooks it is.

Oh well, this looks like an earlier series with Matthew MacFayden. We had Rupert Penry-Jones (who recently wore a lovely blue 3-piece with a wonderful DB waistcoat in the 39 Steps remake) and now we have Richard Armitage currently.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Siviter definitely dresses better than Dr. Greg House. Laurie was on MI-5/Spooks early on, before House made him a big TV star in the States; it's too bad in a way, b/c his turn on "5" was terrific, as was his wardrobe.

But what upper-class Englishman would have a name like "Jools"? Jules I could maybe see, but Jools?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MI-5? Shouldn't it be MI5? Spooks it is.

Oh well, this looks like an earlier series with Matthew MacFayden. We had Rupert Penry-Jones (who recently wore a lovely blue 3-piece with a wonderful DB waistcoat in the 39 Steps remake) and now we have Richard Armitage currently.
39 Steps remake? I must look into this!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Siviter definitely dresses better than Dr. Greg House. Laurie was on MI-5/Spooks early on, before House made him a big TV star in the States; it's too bad in a way, b/c his turn on "5" was terrific, as was his wardrobe.
Early on? He's been active for much longer than Spooks has been around.

The Jeeves and Wooster series is a study in Jazz Age "country" dress as Bertie weekends from house to house and travels about in Prohibition America. The complete collection is available on DVD, and runs very close to the original stories.
Well, not the America part. That consisted of stories that took place in England and everyone seemed to have transported to New York. It was very strange, though still funny, and not really in keeping with the stories (though there were America bits of those)

·
Registered
7,502 Posts

Or to give them their correct names

Security Service (MI5) - They don't mind being called MI5 and are most commonly referred to as MI5 anyway in and outside the branch.MI5 still being their official abbreviaited name. I mean look at the alternative, SS! :icon_smile_wink:

Secret Intelligence Service (SIS) - This mob however, are not referred to as MI6 anymore within the branch, even if the public still incorrectly persist with it. And most definitely not as HMSS!

Use of the term MI6 stopped many years ago, as far back as the early 80s when I was in the RAF we called them the SIS.

You are probably correct on one thing though, the class division. On the odd occasions I encountered MI5 officers, working/middle class would have been correct.
I dont know if I ever met any SIS officers! How would I know? ;)
SAS troopers, yes several times on exercise and in the Naafi and SAS officers in the Artist's Rifles mess in Chelsea.
SIS though, who knows? :icon_smile_wink:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hugh looks terrific, but...

I don't know why people rate 'Spooks' so highly. I can only assume they've never seen 'The Sandbaggers.'

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
I don't know why people rate 'Spooks' so highly. I can only assume they've never seen 'The Sandbaggers.'
I agree. I think the first season of Spooks was good. But they should have called it a day after that!

I'd like to see some re-runs of the 1970s Special Branch with Geroge Sewell. Or better still, also from the 70s, The Sweeney with the late John Thaw (later famous as Morse) as hardman Flying Squad detective Jack Regan and Dennis Waterman as Carter
Here's a link to whet the appetite, even the opening titles told you that these detectives were as hard as the villains they were after. Check Regan's slip-ons on the car pedals in this link:

And this one, God you've got to love it, take's me back, I miss being a copper

Sweeney Todd = Flying Squad (SO8 as was unitl the huge Met Pol re-org in 91) it was cockney rhyming slang you see.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree. I think the first season of Spooks was good. But they should have called it a day after that!

I'd like to see some re-runs of the 1970s Special Branch with Geroge Sewell. Or better still, also from the 70s, The Sweeney with the late John Thaw (later famous as Morse) as hardman Flying Squad detective Jack Regan and Dennis Waterman as Carter
Here's a link to whet the appetite, even the opening titles told you that these detectives were as hard as the villains they were after. Check Regan's slip-ons on the car pedals in this link:

And this one, God you've got to love it, take's me back, I miss being a copper

Sweeney Todd = Flying Squad (SO8 as was unitl the huge Met Pol re-org in 91) it was cockney rhyming slang you see.
And "Flying Squad" becasue they drove RAF surplus vehicles? Or so I seem to recall.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.