Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was walking my 8 month old daughter home from day care today, when she approached some 12-14 year old kids throwing ice at each other outside of the Brooklyn Public Library branch by us. One of the kids threw a chunk of ice nearly hitting the stroller and she told him that she'd kick the sh** out of him if he comes near them again. Thankfully I wasn't there because with my temper words may not have been suffice.

The library does nothing as the kids are outside on the sidewalk, and the police don't do anything, because they're either a) busy with more important things or b) can not bothered with teenage misbehavior.

I think I will drop by my city councilman's office tomorrow or after work on Monday, but I know at the branch of the BPL by my school, there have been similar problems for years. What would you do? If the kids (who are always causing trouble, whether its ice balls, or urinating on cars) ever come near my daughter while I'm with her, I may hurt one.

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Bad kids have been around since the dawn of time.

Honestly, the best thing (IMHO) is to inform whatever authorities that they're a problem, and ignore them beyond that. In this era of "Children are Sacrosanct Regardless of How Worthless they Actually Are", you can only bring trouble to yourself if you try to discipline them, threaten them, or interact with them in any way. Worse, they know this, and will take full advantage of it.

The ice thing *sounds* like it was unintentional - still bad because it was careless and irresponsible, of course, but not done with fell intent - so I think a stern "be careful" might work better than threats, myself.

Eventually they'll be locked up in "juvie", and you can gloat then ;)

D.

· Registered
243 Posts
If they were the kind of kids who would do that on purpose, they would have probably given your wife more lip when she told them she'd "kick the ****" out of them.

A stern word to make them ashamed of their actions is probably the most appropriate response, and most likely to get a result (however unlikely that may be).

It's hard to say without knowing the full story, though. Good luck.

· Registered
393 Posts
If they were the kind of kids who would do that on purpose, they would have probably given your wife more lip when she told them she'd "kick the ****" out of them.

A stern word to make them ashamed of their actions is probably the most appropriate response, and most likely to get a result (however unlikely that may be).

It's hard to say without knowing the full story, though. Good luck.
I agree with the above, but as I've aged I've come to realize that the lower the population density, the more I like the place. Maybe Brooklyn isn't the best place to raise a young lady?

· Registered
38 Posts
Hmm... I probably would have let it slide. I'm only twenty, so it isn't difficult for me to remember that as a teenager, you just don't think things through. At the end of the day, even the best kids do stupid things (often, might I add). Plus, how would you feel if a man threatened your daughter for carelessly throwing a snowball?

2,973 Posts
War on children

Hmm... I probably would have let it slide. I'm only twenty, so it isn't difficult for me to remember that as a teenager, you just don't think things through. At the end of the day, even the best kids do stupid things (often, might I add). Plus, how would you feel if a man threatened your daughter for carelessly throwing a snowball?
Same here, let it slide.

The OP and subsequent entries reflect the regrettable tendency in our society to demonize young people.

Regards,
Gurdon

· Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
The OP is a teacher and seldom demonizes young people (IF he did that here.) He is not a right wing nut and cares deeply about children. Just to be fair.

· Registered
630 Posts
The OP is a teacher and seldom demonizes young people (IF he did that here.) He is not a right wing nut and cares deeply about children. Just to be fair.
For the love of God, if he were, would that explain it away in your twisted little mind?

And people wonder why fewer and fewer people come to this site. I'm about done with it myself.

· Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
As one of the aforementioned "nut" persuasion, I, too, find the "nut" comment unfortunate. Thankfully, right-, left-, and middle- nutcases are all among the aforementioned which leaves me, for the nonce, not buttonholed. Buttonholes ... hmmm ... gotta go make some. But that's another story.

Leaving that aside, moderators are free not to be moderators on the Interchange and it would be sincerely appreciated if reporting posts were normally reserved for the gentlepersons' fora.

More to the point, if some teen were to put one of my kids in harms way, there would be no talking. There would also be no thread on AAAC as it might be construed as an admission of guilt.

Well ... off to make those buttonholes. Hope you're all more confused that before. Now, should I exit Stage Right, Stage Left, or just get the hell out?

· Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
I apologize. I meant to say that Rgrossicone is a teacher and generally is quite generous toward children. The person who posted before my post basically said Grossicone was demonizing children; typically the next step is to dig at conservatives.

I should probably have not used the word "nut" however, when I read in here, a lot worse things than that are said. Most people who read here, unless their politics are very much toward the right extreme know I'm not a leftist.

Oh well.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry if the post went somewhere I hadn't intended. I was hoping to keep my profession out, but really what I was getting at was :

At what lengths would you go to protect your family?

I know most people would say that they would die for their kids, but when real life enters the scenario, and the severity of the danger changes, sometimes we don't know what to do.

Of course my first wish would be for someone to actually keep the area safe, then secondly I'd try and avoid the situation if at all possible, by walking in another direction...but the library is across the street from my apt building. So the situation is essentially unavoidable.

As far as raising a young lady in Brooklyn...I'd rather her have to put up with the occational disturbance and be able to experience walking down the street to get fresh dates, Arabic food, Greek food, Italian food, Irish food, Norwegian food and anything else my great neighborhood has to offer, than be stuck in a homogenous, but safer alternative. Yesterday I was able to take a walk with my wife and daughter to get fresh dates, pistachios, Mexican peppers, Sesame and Chili flat bread, Borscht Soup, and bagels...all within three blocks of where we live.

Thanks for all the input so far. But lets try and keep the answerrs basic, to this question:

How far would you go to protect your family?

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
...How far would you go to protect your family?
The short answer is, there are literally no limits to what I would do to protect my family and given the path(s) I have travelled in life, that statement is not insignificant. However, subsequent to retirement from my "real" job, an experience I had as a substitute teacher illustrates just how dicey such situations can quickly become.

I was substituting in a school system that "mainstreams" students with disabilities in classrooms with all the other students. In a class of 7Th graders, a male student, standing close to 6' tall and weighing perhaps a bit more than two hundred pounds, saw fit to taunt and knock the books off of one of the challenged student's desk. I required the bully to pick the other students books up and put them back on the desk and then picked the bully's books up and told him he was moving to a back corner of the room. He objected and in the process, clasped his hand on my shoulder saying he didn't want to sit in the back of the room. I told him to take his hand off my shoulder. His response, "what are you gonna do, if I don't?" My response was to calmly state, "if you don't take it off, I will take it off for you." He took his hand off my shoulder and he relocated to the back corner of the room.

That evening the bully went home and talked to his Mom, apparently convincing her that I had threatened him. The next day I was called to the principles office and counselled as to my handling of the matter and a day later was given a letter addressing how fragile a young persons mind and how easily a teachers "less than well thought statements" could be misinterpreted! Bottom line...when dealing with a subject, who has yet to reach the age of majority...be careful, be very careful! ;)

· Registered
393 Posts
I notice that you left open the possibility that he was a left wing nutcase or a middle of the road nut case.

WHAT KIND OF A NUTCASE ARE YOU????

forsbergacct2000
I'm a little surprised to see that my post has been modified, I assume by a moderator. I only posted the first sentence. Is this a common practice and is it generally acceptable?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.