Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
294 Posts
I've been contemplating buying this Press sportcoat. I used to have an HSM blackwatch blazer that never quite fit right, though I didn't know it at the time. I always wore it to Holiday parties. Is this sportcoat useful for everyday wear?
https://www.jpressonline.com/build_...atch+tartan&image=J31482&width=400&height=510
I would say it's up to your comfort level wearing it. I have a patch madras jacket that sees almost no wearing time, but i'm ok in other GTH-ish items.

· Registered
2,722 Posts
Blackwatch

I have a JAB Blackwatch Jacket that I purchased several years ago. It gets only occasional wear, other than during the holiday season. I'll usually choose a navy blazer instead at that level of dress. If this is to fill out a reasonably large range of jackets, go for it. If it one of only two or three- I'd stick with something a bit more useful like a herringbone or a
camel hair jacket.
Just my .02.

· Registered
284 Posts
I've been contemplating buying this Press sportcoat. I used to have an HSM blackwatch blazer that never quite fit right, though I didn't know it at the time. I always wore it to Holiday parties. Is this sportcoat useful for everyday wear?
I retired one recently that I'd had for about fifteen years. Found it very versatile year-round, and also one of the few jackets that will go well with navy trousers.

Bright tartans are obviously a niche thing (I have one in Modern Maclennan tartan I very rarely wear as it's way too loud) but Black Watch is so restrained and classic it can play along with the navy blazer.

· Registered
1,106 Posts
I like the Blackwatch in Madras for the summer. Saw a vintage one on ebay recently by Corbin. On the subject of the wool jacket I would echo the comfort level theme; If you think it is just for the holidays then that is when you are going to wear it. I think it might fill the gap between Blazer and Tweed.

· Registered
7,502 Posts
The problem with that kind of jacket in that clothweight is that it's almost too formal looking for casual wear (cords, jeans,chinos) while at the same time being too casual looking for semi-formal/business wear. Hence the reason that jackets like that, as mentioned by others here, only get worn on the odd occasion. It just doesn't fit in comfortably. Well not since the mid-80s anyway...seriously!

· Registered
2,556 Posts
For me the price outweighs the amount it will be worn. I scored one on eBay in a 38R (my size) for $25. It was a LL Bean or Lands End...forget which one.

Its sitting at my mothers waiting to be tailored for next Thanksgiving and Christmas...the only days I'd prob wear it.

· Registered
27 Posts
I have a couple of similar jackets, it's not something I would use in your everyday business or personal life I believe it's more suited for holidays and the likes :pic12337:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.