Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kind of a spinoff of the no vents/side vents/center vent thread. There, I pointed out that side vents make me think of 70's disco suits. If you had to pick a dress shirt collar style that is "trad," after BD, tennis & golf I bet most people here would pick point. But there too, I think of them as being really popular in the 70's.

Now, if I'm not wearing a BD collar I usually wear a point collar shirt, because it works well with a four-in-hand knot. But what I'm wondering is why the spread collar is considered so "un-trad?" I'm not talking about the most dramatic European cutaway-style collars. If I'm not mistaken, prior to today the last time spread collar shirts were really popular was the early 60's, which was pretty much the trad era.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
688 Posts
They are the essence of Ameircan Trad, right behind the BD. There is something restrained about them, unlike spreads, which are more dramatic and tend, at their most outlandish, to be British. I think they both have their place, but as time goes on I tend to admire the more restrained look, especially with narrow ties.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Point collar shirts

I have been replacing my spread collar shirts with point collars (from Mercer). I've come to prefer this collar over all the rest.

Mercer's unlined collars are the most comfortable I have ever worn.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have been replacing my spread collar shirts with point collars (from Mercer). I've come to prefer this collar over all the rest.

Mercer's unlined collars are the most comfortable I have ever worn.
I too have Mercer straight collar shirts and agree they are extremely comfortable. The collars might not have the formality of some Italian and French shirts I have, but I love the comfort and American look of the Mercers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.